Chapter 22

What?" I said dazed for a moment unable comprehend what he just said.

"I want you to...move in with us."

I shook my head confirming that what he just said was fact.

"Dylan, I can't." he looked at me startled, definitely not expecting the answer I had given him.
"Look, it's bad enough I have already caused enough trouble here. Trust me I am the last person anyone would want to be with right now."

He shook his head in disagreement. "Now we both know that's not true."

"Look. Dylan I can't come with you and maybe staying here isn't such a good idea. And to be honest I can't say I like the idea of you leaving too. I can't tell you what to do, but leaving, I don't think it's the best option right now. Your mum needs you and especially with these things that are happening with Norman. You really think it's a good Idea to even take Norman with you? I mean from what you told me, and what I saw, his blackouts seem quite serious. Plus, he and Norma are so close... I don't think Norma will be pleased with Norman not living here anymore."

Dylan sighed as I waited for him to respond.

"Elissa. Let me tell you something about Norma. Staying a couple of weeks in this household means nothing. I know Norma and you have no clue. She is insane. The things she does and the way she acts is just not normal. She is not normal. All she cares about is for her or Norman. I on the other hand, I am nothing but crap to her. So no she doesn't need me. Proof is when they first moved here, she didn't even have the decency to tell her own son where they had moved to. I made my way here after a long time. Norma doesn't care."

He paused, catching his breath before continuing.

"The only thing Norma will ever care for is Norman. Her obsession with him is unbelievable. He is an eighteen year old kid who needs to act like his age! Now he can't do that when his 'mother' is around him twenty-four hours of the day. She is too overprotective of him. Can you believe she freaked out at me for letting him spend the night with a girl? Big deal! He needs it! He is eighteen for goodness sake. All I am trying to do is help him." He let out a long breath.

I sat there unable to speak. I didn't really know how to even respond to Dylan. Maybe he did have a point. Maybe if he and Norman move out, then Norman will be able to live his life for once without having Norma running all over him. Who knows it might actually do him good.

"I just thought if you came..." I cut him off before he could finish.

"Dylan I'm sorry...but I just can't." I got up and walked towards the window and looked outside. I felt bad saying no but there was no way I would do that. The whole point of leaving was so that I could get away from everything and to start fresh.

I could see his reflection from the window and he did not look at all pleased. I folded my arms and stared out into the dark as I spoke to him.

"Honestly since coming here, it's been crazy...definitely not how I was planning on spending my time here. You know I was sent to come and live with my uncle and find out why my whole life is a lie...but instead I find out that I am living with the person who killed him. Not only that, but your mum is hiding something for sure. She always hates it when I bring up my step parents and I've always wondered why. But I never got my answer and don't think I will." I mustered up my strength to hold back the anger and tears slowly building up inside me. The room went silent for a while, until I turned around to face him.

"I just think leaving is the best thing for me right now. I can't have anything else happen here knowing that it will somehow involve me or turn out to be my fault."