Chapter 30

Nowhere.  Nothing.  Absolutely nothing! God knows how long I've spent looking, but one thing for sure, I had found nothing. I sat in the chair which was sitting in the corner of the room and huffed. I had looked at almost every box in the room except one which was too high for me to reach. Determination overtook me and I decided to check it out.

I grabbed the chair I was sitting on and placed it underneath the shelf. I carefully climbed onto it using the lower shelves for support and stood up. Once the chair got its balance and stopped moving I looked up. It was still a bit too far back for me to reach it. I stood on to my tiptoes hoping that would help. I put all my weight onto the top shelf and stretched my hand until it came in contact with the box.

Aha! My fingers had brushed the base of the box. Now all I had to do was grab it. I tried stretching my fingers  further, so I could reach the flaps of the box and pull it towards me. I eventually did. I pushed some of the boxes- on the lower shelf- to one side so I could make space in front of me and place the box I had just grabbed, there.

I opened it. Papers. More papers. I flicked through them but found nothing relevant. I felt like giving up. I had gotten my hopes up. I closed the box up and shoved it back on the top shelf, in it's original position. That is until something caught the corner of my eye. I once again stood on my tiptoes and grabbed the small shiny object that sparked my interest. A key. No. Two keys. I brought it closer to me so I could examine it. Both different in colour and size. One was small and silver, probably something that could fit in a lock  or maybe even a draw of some sort. The other was more familiar. Larger and copper in colour. Weird. I turned it over and just as I suspected, the key was from one of the motel rooms. The number 11 clearly written on the top half of the key. I found it unusual for there to be a room key hidden behind old dusty boxes. What was even more peculiar was the keys themselves were clean and shiny. Not a spec of dust. These boxes had been here for who knows how long. The keys looked as though someone had placed it there recently. I furrowed my eyebrows wondering who could have done it and why even. I then quickly placed it into my pocket and put the rest of the boxes neatly back in their places.

"Hey, Elissa are you okay?"  A small yelp escaped my mouth and jumped after Norman giving me a mini heart attack. My mini shock had caused the chair to stumble making me  loose my balance off the chair. I was expecting to hit the cold hard floor of the room but instead a felt a pair of hands grab me. I waited for a moment to come to my senses. I quickly got up.

"N-Norman. Thanks." I said slightly taken aback. "You sure know how to scare the crap out of someone." He chuckled.

"I'm sorry." He said. Wow something I'd never thought I'd hear him say. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." I quickly straightened out my clothes with my hands.

"What were you doing up there?" he asked his eyes glancing at where I was standing.

"Oh, Uhm I was just...looking through the boxes."

"Why?" He looked at me curiously I furrowed my eyebrows.

"I-I was just looking to see if there was anything that needed sorting out."

"Mother... doesn't like them all muddled up Elissa." He said trying his best not to get angry.

"Calm down. Don't worry, I put them back in the same way they were before." I reassured him. He seemed annoyed.

"Fine. Well I came  to tell you that I'm gonna head up to the house I need something to eat, I'm starving." 

"Sure...I'll be here waiting for you." I gave him a small smile but he didn't return it.  Well that's not what he wanted to hear but I needed to investigate more about them keys.

"Okay..." He took his time leaving but I breathed a sigh of relief as soon as he was making his way back at the house.  He seemed annoyed with both me searching through the boxes and staying back here, why? Was he hiding something that he didn't want me to see? Would I find something he didn't want anyone to know? I put my hand in my pocket still feeling the keys that I placed in there not long ago. Maybe he knew something about them. I sighed. Only time would tell.

------------------
Read!!

Hey readers,

Hope you guys are doing good and are having a great holiday.  I'm actually still away and will be for some time. I will however be getting internet every once in a while so I will be updating then. I've written quite a few chapters but they need major editing. Apologies to those who think these two chapters are not enough or too short, but hey, it's better than nothing!

Anyway I hope you're enjoying it though and if you are don't forget to vote and comment :D

Bye for now!