Chapter 9

It has been about two weeks since I've stayed here, with the Bates family. There was a spare motel room available for me, but surprisingly they've grown close to me, they didn't really want me to go. I felt awkward as I didn't really want to be a burden but Norma insisted. I myself had grown closer with the family especially Norman and Dylan, though I didn't get to see them as much as Norman was at school and Dylan had his own job. It's as if they were like my second family, in a way, after my step-parents of course.

I got ready and went downstairs. Luckily it was saturday so I slept in later than usual. I walked passed the living room, seeing Norman sitting on the couch watching Tv. I went to the kitchen and saw Norma cooking as usual and Dylan eating.

"Well,well. Look who's up at last." Dylan smirked while taking a bite of his sandwich.

"Goodmorning to you too." I replied getting cereal out of the cupboard.

"Correction, it's passed twelve, so technically it's the afternoon." He laughed. I rolled my eyes and placed the cereal back in the cupboard.

"Don't worry Elissa I'll cook you something to eat." Norma smiled. Just then the doorbell rang.

"I'll get it." I said, since i was closer to the door. She nodded and I walked up to the front door and opened it. A fairly tall man stood in front of me. He had brown hair and brown eyes and was wearing a grey t-shirt with a dark blue jacket on top and Jeans. He was quite young and I must admit a bit cute too. "Umm, hi" i quickly said. "Hey there, I don't think we've met before..."

"Hi I'm Elissa. It's a pleasure to meet you sir."

"Please, call me Zack. Zack Shelby" He said taking out his hand to shake it. I smiled and accepted his handshake. "Nice to meet you Zack." I smiled.

"You too. I am sorry to be a bother but is Norma in?" I nodded. "Yeah, I'll just go and get her. one second." I said. Before I could go and get Norma, he abruptly placed his foot in front of the door to stop it from closing.

"Hey, actually I would like to come in" he said. I looked down at his foot and then up at him. "Umm, yeah okay." He nodded and we both went inside to the kitchen. As soon as I walked in I saw Dylan's face dropped. He looked up at Zack and then at me and gave me the 'What the hell is he doing here' look. "Umm Dylan this is-"

"Yes I know, Zack. Please don't remind me" He said. He muttered the last bit and rolled his eyes. Ok then...

Zack sat down while I went to get something to drink. "Zack do you want anything to drink?" I asked him.

"Just water" he replied.

I went to the table and placed the glass cup on the table in front of him. I sat down next to him, opposite Dylan. I could see him eyeing Zack every now and again. What the heck was his problem?Just then Norma walked back into the room, looking surprised. "Zack. What a surprise. What brings you here?"

"Just taking a stroll in the neighbourhood. You know the normal daily routine." He said, taking a sip of his water.

"Daily routine?" i asked confused.

"Yes. I am the Deputy of White pine bay. " I looked surprised since he wasn't dressed the part.

"Hey Elissa, sorry for not making you anything to eat maybe Dylan can get off his ass and maybe make you something." She said smirking. I giggled as well, while Dylan was sitting there looking serious. I don't even think he took notice, as he was too busy looking at Zack, again! Am I missing something here?

"So Elissa, tell me a bit about yourself, what brings you to White Pine bay and why haven't I seen you before?" He questioned.

"Well, I have been here for about two weeks. I came to stay with my Uncle but he..died" He placed the glass on the table and eyed me suspiciously. "He died, huh. What was his name?" The question quickly brought back the memory from the first day, when Norma kicked me out of the house. I looked up at Dylan and then at Norma. I could tell she looked a bit tense from the way she was cleaning the dishes.

"Keith Summers" I replied looking back at Zack. He just nodded. I could tell he knew something but I wasn't going to question him. But I did want to question him this.

"Do you know how Keith summers died?" Everyone instantly stopped what they were doing and looked up at me. "What? it's just a question." They gave me a death glare, especially Norma. "He was my uncle after all I do have the right to know. " Geez what is it with this family and keith summers?!

"Well he was killed. We still yet to find the person who did it, but we found his body in the lake." Zack said. I looked up in dismay. "Who would kill him, and why?" I asked confused. Everyone went awfully silent and Zack just shrugged his shoulders. It was as if he was about to say something but he hesitated. He was distracted by his phone vibrating in his pocket. He took it out and looked at the message.

"I must go now, duty calls. " He said placing his phone back in his pocket and getting up. "Elissa, If you don't mind since you are related to this man, you will have to come down to the station, just to ask you some questions if that's alright. It doesn't have to be today but soon would be good" I nodded.

With that he left the room, Norma leaving too. Probably to talk to him. "Are they like going out or something?" I asked Dylan. He gave a sarcastic smirk. "Whatever they are I don't like it...I don't like him."

"Yeah I gathered that, by the amount of times you were screwing him." I replied. "He doesn't seem bad, I guess he's just doing his job." Dylan just stayed silent leaning back against the chair, arms folded. "So, what made you ask that question?"

"What about how my uncle died? Like I said he was my Uncle I have the right to know, even if I didn't know him. I wonder who would want to kill him. They make him sound like he is some kind of psycho or murderer." Dylan smirked.

"What?" I asked. "Nothing" he repiled. "How comes you never asked, you know one of us?"

"Well maybe if you retrace what happened the first night I came here then that will answer your question." He just stayed silent. I heard the door close and Norma coming back into the Kitchen.

"I'm going to go and see how Norman is doing." I said picking up the glasses from the table and putting them in the sink. And without saying another word I walked out.