Chapter 28

The following morning I woke up with a struggle since I hadn't got much sleep the night before. I squinted and blinked a couple times from the morning light reflecting into the room. It took a couple of minutes before the dream came rushing back to me. The scene with Norman killing my mother played over and over again; One minute, seeing my mother standing there scared, Norman holding a gun to her, his eyes filled with extreme rage. It was as if I could almost feel the fear inside of her, my mother. And then the next...bang, within seconds she was out cold on the ground. I squeezed my eyes shut and tried my best to take the awful scene out of my head.

It was only bad dream. I kept reassuring myself. It never happened. Norman wouldn't even think about doing something like that, right?  I mean he didn't even know her. Then why did some part of me doubt that? I thought avoiding Norman the best I can, to   help ease my mind. 

"Hey Dylan-" I began whilst turning to face him. I stopped mid-sentence when I realised he was nowhere to be seen. I frowned. I sat up and looked at his bedside clock which read half past nine. I groaned my head plopping back against the pillow.

I was exhausted, but no doubt had to at some point get up. When I finally did, I had a good stretch before neatening his bed. I left his room, leaving his door slightly ajar. I went to my room and as usual, I got ready for the day ahead of me. I had a shower and wore something casual. I brushed my teeth and fixed my hair. I applied a small amount of make- up. There was no point overdoing it since I was just staying home, but I still didn't want to look like a total wreck.

I headed downstairs and walked into the kitchen. I stopped when I saw Dylan placing a plate with a couple of toasts stacked on top of one another onto the table. He turned around and saw me.

"Morning, just in time."  He smiled. I looked at him surprised.

"Uh, hey...Dylan? What is this?" I looked at the table which could have looked as though we were having a feast.

"Breakfast" he got two mugs from the cupboard and poured tea before setting them down on the table. I looked at him slightly stunned as he grabbed a chair and he sat down.

"Right..." I said copying him shortly after.

"Well not really the reaction I was expecting. You love food, I thought you would be happy." He frowned.

"No I am," I laughed. "I just... didn't know you could actually cook" he raised an eyebrow.

"I am a man of many talents." He said proudly.

"Wow, well I didn't know frying eggs  and bacon was considered a talent, but okay" I laughed whilst taking a bite. Dylan looked at me grinning.

"Okay...maybe I spoke too soon" I said after swallowing.

"This is good." I said pointing at my plate with the fork. He shook his head, chuckling, as he began to dig in.

"So, where's Norma?" 

"She is out food shopping and she has to run some errands so I have no idea when she will be back." Dylan answered. I sighed. It had been nearly two weeks since she had been bailed out of jail by; surprise surprise; Norman. Guess he couldn't even live without his mother for at least a week.

Honestly, I wasn't exactly thrilled for her to back here knowing what she had done and kept from me. However, I tried my best to put my feelings and thoughts aside so that I didn't cause trouble and tension in the house. I had to admit it was harder than I thought. Every time I looked at her all it reminded me of when she got arrested because of the murder of my uncle.

"Elissa are you okay?" That shook me back to reality.

"Yeah, sorry I was just lost in thought." I said looking up at Dylan. 

"Look if it's about what happened last night..." I shot my head up.

"No, no. it has nothing to do with that, I wasn't even thinking that." I was caught off guard I didn't think he was going to bring it up. Well, not now anyway.

"What happened last night?"  I almost jumped when I heard a familiar voice enter the kitchen.

"Uh, Oh hey Norman." I tried to be casual but seeing him, just reminded me of last night's nightmare all over again. Great that was all I needed. I pursed my lips together trying to remain calm.

"Good morning." He came up to us and grabbed one of the toasts Dylan had made.

"Well?"

"Nothing happened." I answered simply. Norman looked back and forth between me and Dylan curiously, before shrugging it off.

"If you say so. I actually came here to say that Emma won't be coming to help down at the motel today so I will need some help." I looked up at him, one arm leaning on the counter whilst eating his toast. Great that's all I needed. Here was me trying to my best to avoid him, but nope, something had to get in the way. I rolled my eyes. This was gonna be harder than I thought.

"Sure..." I replied hesitantly.

"Good" He smiled and with that walked out of the kitchen.

Dylan and I sat there for a while longer as we finished eating the remaining food that was sitting on our plates.

Just then, the perfect idea popped into my head. This was it! Without Norma around, this was my chance to search what I came here for. The box! This could be my chance to find out what I had been kept for me and hopefully find out who I really am. My heart skipped a beat. I felt happy but at the same time I was worried. I didn't want to get my hopes up if it wasn't even in there. But what if it was? What if I didn't like what I was going to find out? Once I got my hands on that box or whatever it was that I need to find about myself, there was no going back. Once I knew, I knew. Either way this was probably the only opportunity I had and there was only one way to find out.

"Thanks for breakfast Dylan." I smiled at him. I got up and took some of the empty plates to the sink. He helped me and bought the remaining things from the table to the sink.

"You're welcome. Hey I'll sort out the dishes you go down and see Norman." He told me. I hesitated but he insisted that he would do it.

"Fine, I'll see you later."

"Wait" I felt him grab my arm, making me turn to him.

"Yeah?"

"Be ready at seven tonight." I looked at him puzzled. Seven? Why?

"Why?...What's happening at seven?"

"Just...be ready, you'll see. Oh, and wear something nice." He gave me a wink before facing the other way. I had to process what just happened. My eyes widened.

Wait? Was Dylan Massett taking me, Elissa Jameson, on a date? I bit my lip, my cheeks flushing. I couldn't be sure but the wink did give something away. I quickly walked out of the room to avoid embarrassing myself, before feeling a rush of excitement for what he had planned for tonight.

-----------
Hey,

Hope you liked it
Please vote comment rate etc
Next chapter will be better! Anyway bye for now.