Chapter 29

Norman and I were quiet whilst in the motel reception. He was working on the computer sorting out room availability. I on the other hand, was given the good old filing job. It was long and boring but it had to be done. With only two people-since Norma and Emma were usually here- it was probably going to take quite some time.

I sat on the floor cross-legged, three large boxes surrounding me. I grabbed the one closest to me and took out all the paper. I sighed at the thick stack of papers I had to put in alphabetical order, but nevertheless began separating them.

It was frustrating to say the least being in the same room as him, especially being just the two of us. I didn't know if it was the dream that made my feelings and thoughts about him hate him even more or it was everything else he's already done. I tried to put my feelings about the boy, who was centimeters away from me, aside and concentrated on what I had in front of me.

"So what happened last night?" Norman said breaking the silence. I could hear him typing on the keyboard as he awaited a response.

I was slightly caught off guard but I couldn't tell if it was the fact that he was trying to make conversation with me or his interest in what had happened the night before.

"Like I said earlier nothing happened." I continued looking down at the papers. Norman on the other hand had stopped typing.

"Well it sure didn't look like it to me when you and Dylan were talking. You were about to say something but your conversation stopped when I came in."

"That's because you walked in and thought it was okay to butt into our little talk." I replied. Where was he going with this?

"That didn't mean you needed to stop whatever you were talking about."

"Well I wanted to..."

"I would have left the room shortly after anyway" why did he care so much and why was he so desperate to know what happened. It made me wonder whether he knew something.

"Why are you so eager to know what happened?" Now he looked me in the eye.

"Because I can't help but feel that your keeping secrets behind my back, and something tells me it's to do with me."

It took all the strength I had not to get angry. Secrets?! I wasn't even the one keeping secrets from him he was! And he was probably keeping more just like Norma. Like mother like son. What was I suppose to say to that? You know when part of you tells you to say one thing and the other part tells you to say another? Yeah, well that's me right now. If I said 'no it has nothing to do with you' then he would probably keep pestering me about it. If I said 'yes it has everything to do with you. I think you killed my mother,' well all hell will probably let lose. Instead I said,

"Okay Norman look. Whatever conversation Dylan and I were having was between me and him so could you stop asking questions. Oh and just for the record I'm not the one keeping secrets around here it's you. How many time do I have to get through that to you. I'm in no mood for arguing right now so could you please just stop." I saw his knuckles turn white from his tight fists but he didn't retaliate. I sighed.

"Norman, why do you hate me so much?" His knuckles instantly loosened and his eyes instantly shifted into mine.

"Hate you? How could I possibly hate you?" I snorted.

"That's kinda hard to believe."

"What do you mean?"

Well you hit me, pushed me against the cupboards, knocked me out sending me to hospital, ah yes and almost strangled me to death. Almost. Yep I felt like saying that to him only he was in his blackouts when he did that to me. He didn't even know about them and so that would result in more questioning and I was not prepared for all that. But then how do I know he wasn't in one of his black outs right Now?

"Forget it" I continued placing the paper in order. Surprisingly he went mute. I heard the clicking of the mouse and typing on the keyboard for a while until that stopped, again.

"Elissa, what do you see in my brother?" Great from one question to the next. My eyes widened. Why did he care?

"Uhm that's not something I would like to talk about Norman." I placed the papers beside me as the papers began to get heavy on my lap.

"Oh. Come on you obviously have feelings for him."  Yes, yes I do.

"We're  just friends" To be honest I had no idea what we were. We may have had our first kiss and he may have asked me out but he didn't ask me to be his girlfriend. We weren't official. All I had to do was wait. I just had to wait and see how tonight was going to pan out.

"Right just friends, because staring at him every so often, blushing every time he sees or speaks to you, oh and going into his bed every night and sleeping with him is considered as 'just friends'" I didn't have to look to see him air quote the last two words. My head shot up.
"What the heck do you do, spy on us?" I said embarrassed and furious.

"Well actually it's just obvious, but I've also noticed your bed has been untouched."

"Uh, Whatever. As far as me not being in my bed we have been having movie nights and...I guess we just fall asleep through it." Okay so maybe I lied I mean the real reason was that Dylan was actually comforting me because of my recent episodes of nightmares I'd been getting. But I wasn't planning on telling him that. Especially about last night.

"Every night?" He raised an eyebrow. I looked up at him.

"Yeah" Dammit Norman stop with the questions.

"If you say so." He smirked before turning  back to his typing, the room going silent once again.  I turned back around after processing the awkward and embarrassing conversation I had just encountered and proceeded with my work.

Two hours had passed, although it felt a lot longer, I had finished sorting out the last box. I stood up and stretched my legs, which felt like jelly. I turned to face Norman who was writing something down on the computer. I looked back at the box and picked it up and placed it back in its original position.

"Are you done?" I heard Norman from behind me.

"Yep"

"Okay, thanks. Can you go into the other room to see if there is anything else that needs to be done please?" His tone of voice indicated it was more of a polite demand rather than a 'yeah' or 'no' question.

I sighed doing as he said. I walked into the room, closing the door just over halfway and sat down on a chair that was in the corner of the room. I breathed a sigh of relief. That must have been the longest two hours of my life. Did I mention awkward? I felt my phone vibrate. I took it out from my pocket and saw an unread message pop up onto the screen.

Hey. Gone to work. I'll be home by 5

Dylan x

I smiled. We always put kisses at the end of our messages when we texted-even though it wasn't that often- but it still somehow always managed to make my stomach flutter. I replied before placing my phone back in my pocket. I looked around and sighed; Boxes- a lot of them- were scattered in different parts of the room.

I shook my head trying to think what I should be doing in here until I remembered; the letter. It indicated that the box would be in here somewhere. I looked around groaned wondering how I would manage to take a look through all the boxes. Well I did know one thing; sitting here was going to get me nowhere. I got up began my search.