Chapter 27

The sound of a glass breaking had suddenly awoken me in a fright. My eyes snapped open as I was met with my dark room. I sat myself up slightly; my elbows propped up onto the pillow, and waited a couple of minutes. I heard nothing. Someone must have dropped something. I shrugged it off and grabbed my phone to look at the time.

12.40am. I groaned falling flat into bed again. I closed my eyes and hoped to fall asleep soon, but I was unable to. My mind was all over the place. Everything that happened; from Norma being jailed, to my stepdad kidnapping me, to my first kiss I had with Dylan, to the box, the letter. Argh, everything was whirling inside like a hurricane. I just wanted to bash my head against the wall as if that would stop everything altogether. The constant thinking was keeping me wide awake.

When I realised sleep wasn't going to come to me anytime soon, I  decided to head downstairs to grab something to eat and watch some TV, just to ease my mind.

I removed my legs from under the covers and slid myself out of bed. Reaching the door, I gently pulled it open, hoping that no one would hear me. I instantly squinted, shielding my eyes with my hand as the light was far too bright for my eyes to adjust that quickly.

My eyesight altered after a couple of seconds. I closed my bedroom door shut and started down the quiet hallway toward the staircase. The light was on in the hallway downstairs, which meant someone else was awake.

I gripped my hand tightly around the railing, hoping not to slip down the steps, as I slowly made my way down. Reaching the bottom, I began to make my way into the kitchen. That is, until I heard yelling coming from inside the living room. I paused in my tracks. I wondered who would be fighting at this time of night. I tried to make out who it could have been, but I was unable to. Having the door fully shut, didn't make it any easier for me either.

Curiosity got the better of me. I knew it was not right and not even any of my business...but there was no harm in a little eavesdropping...right?

I slowly crept to the side of the wall. I leaned forward and pressed my ear against the door, nervously overhearing some of their conversation.

"I'm not here to cause any trouble...I'm only here to say goodbye to her please." I heard a woman cry.

An unsettling laugh was made in return. The other person began to talk but I was unable to make out what it was they were saying.

"This isn't necessary...just....please....why are you doing this... I will leave as soon as I have spoken to my daughter! Just don't do this please." The woman pleaded.

I slowly moved my ear away from the door and leaned against it. My eyes widened and my heart began to beat like crazy. Surely this wasn't real. It wasn't...it can't have been. It wasn't her...right? I felt a large lump form in my throat.

"I don't care what it is you have with her. That is between you and her, it's not any of my concern, but holding a gun to me, I have no idea what you want from me. You better drop that gun right now or so help me...I will call the police!"

My heart began thumping so loudly I was almost worried that they would be able to hear from the other side of the door. Tears began forming in my eyes hoping that this wasn't really happening. Was this real? My mum and dad fighting in the other room? Was my dad...threatening my mum...with a gun? No this wasn't right, it can't have been. I was only assuming. Maybe it wasn't and I am just hearing it wrong. For all I know it might not even be them.

A shriek came from the door behind me, causing me to jump from surprise. Unfortunately for me, I had accidentally pushed the door open, making me stumble onto the floor, revealing myself to the two people in the room.