Chapter 26

A name.

It was unclear yet I was able to make out exactly what he had said. I stared, confused as to what he meant or why he even said it.

"Elissa we need go!" Dylan yelled, causing me to jump. I got up and was about to back away from the body, but something had caught my eye. Something was half hanging out of his coat pocket. I bent down and picked it up. It was my phone. I furrowed my eyebrows but shrugged it off when Dylan called me again. I quickly placed it in my pocket before getting up. I glanced down one last time at my now dead stepfather before running to help Dylan.

"Sorry" I said to him when I bent down to help him. He was holding the wound down firmly to stop the blood oozing out from his shirt.

"Help me pick him up." He finally said. We each grabbed his arm and carefully pulled him up. I placed his arm around my neck while his other arm wrapped around Dylan's. Although my legs felt like Jelly, I helped Dylan take him outside. A cold breeze hit my face as soon as we stepped out. It was still fairly dark outside, which got me wondering how long I had been here for, however I could slowly tell the sun would peep out sooner than later. I had to catch my breath once we reached Dylan's parked truck. He opened the door for me and we both put Ethan inside, while I jumped in beside him. Dylan followed, and sat in the driver's seat.

"Keep pressure on it. We're going to the hospital." Dylan said as he started up the engine. I held down his wound and saw him flinch from pain.

"Sorry" I said. I felt pity for the boy, knowing that it could have been me lying here in agonizing pain. I couldn't imagine what he was going through. Dylan by now was on the road, speeding to the hospital.

He had seemed to know his way pretty well, considering the fact that we were  practically in the middle of nowhere. It got me thinking whether he had been around here before, then again, Dylan lived here so it shouldn't come to me as a surprise, I guess he just knew his roads really well. However the thought of it still lingered at he back of my mind.

"He's losing a lot of blood." I stated worryingly looking back at Ethan,who was looking paler than ever. I applied more pressure to his wound. He didn't wince this time, and his eyes were half closed. I was truly worried he wasn't going to make it.

"Hey man, just stay with me okay." I could see concern written all over Dylan, as he turned to look at his friend every so often.

Suddenly the thought of what Jack had said just as he died, entered my head again, but I quickly shook the thought out of it once I saw Dylan  parking the truck. We helped Ethan out, who didn't look at all good making me fear the worst for him. We reached the doors of the entrance, whilst holding the bleeding boy.

"Somebody help please! My friend has been shot." Dylan yelled. A couple of nurses appeared to have heard and rushed about. Seconds later they brought a bed out along with some doctors.

"What's his name?" One of the nurses asked as I watched them place him on the bed and hook him up on all sorts of machinery. Only then did I notice  all the blood that was still overflowing from under his shirt. I felt queasy from looking at the blood and began to make me feel lightheaded.

"Ethan" Dylan said. "I don't know his last name." I diverted my eyes to Dylan who looked as if he was about to breakdown at any moment. I watched them wheel him down to another room. A nurse turned to face us.

"You will need to stay here; both of you." She was about to say something else but shock covered her face when she looked at me.

"What happened to you?" she asked me though I didn't reply to her.

"You wait here. I will be back shortly...we need to sort out your injuries on your face...they don't look good," she stated worried. With that, she sped down the hall to the room Ethan was put in.