35: Ditched

It felt very awkward being out alone. I swallowed the lump on my throat and continued walking.

My heart squeezed the moment I thought of his frustrating everything was.

I was now a prisoner and the thought of it made tears well in my eyes.

I turned around and walked to a steel and glass building. I knew I wasn't meant to be met inside without a ticket but i didn't care.

I didn't want to go inside, I just wanted to go somewhere where nobody knew me and my life didn't feel twice as worse.

As I reached the building, I walked to the foyer and gently lowered my stance to the floor.

I held my mouth to stop the gasps but I couldn't. It all became too much to contain and I just held my legs crying.

I buried my face in my thighs wondering what I could do.

I sat there for a few more minutes till I lost count of time.

"Hey!" A voice echoed and I raided my head.

She was an elderly woman holding a small girl's hand.

I could tell the girl was her grand daughter because the age gap was indeed much.

I also though of her being a nanny but it wasn't my business, really.

"Can you hear me?" She asked again. "Hello?"

"Yes," I responded hastily and flinched when she tried to touch my shoulder.

"You're crying," she observed. "What's wrong? Common, tell me what's wrong."

"I—"

I felt the urge to tell her the truth but I stopped. I couldn't trust anyone just because they seemed to care about me.

"Common," she said. "Talk to me. What's your name?"

"Tiffany."

"Tiffany, what's wrong? Did someone hurt you? Are you in danger?"

"Is something wrong?" An officer asked the moment he noticed she was trying to get me to talk.

The Lady paused and looked at him. "I think something is wrong but she wouldn't say. I uh— I met her crying and I've been—"

"Tell me what's wrong—"

"Tiffany," I told him.

"Tell me what's wrong, Tiffany. I can help."

My heart skipped faster the moment I considered talking. I knew the type of trouble i'd be in if I said anything.

I killed the urge to does and just shook my head. I snuffed back the tears. "My uh— my cat died. I tried to save her but I couldn't," I lied.

They looked at themselves and then back at me. "Oh darling," the woman consoled. "I'm very sorry about your cat."

The officer gave a nod. "My apologies too. Where is your family? You should be with them at this point. They may a lot feel the same way, don't they?"

"Yes. Yes— my. They feel the same."

"Try to cheer up okay? Call 911 if you need help."

I gave a nod and the lady touched my shoulder. "I need to run along. My grand daughter us running later for her game."

"Oh! It's fine."

They walked away shortly after and I just watched them. It felt good seeing the way she took care of the child.

Everyone deserves someone who took care of them his way.

I stood to my feel and sighed audibly. It could have been a big problem if I told the cops my predicament.

I checked my wrist watch and saw I had a few more hours.

I took a bus to the new deli. I wanted to try a new recipe and I knew I would enjoy myself.

As I climbed down from the bus and moved around, trying to find my way I bumped into someone.

"Sorry."

"I'm sorry," I said at the same time and continued walking.

I got a pack of potato pancakes and ate till my satisfaction. When I was done, I ordered for a gin and paid the young man.

"Thanks!" I finally said and helped myself to the glass door.

I walked outside and continued walking when I noticed it.

A man seemed to be following me.

I held my hands in a fist thinking of the possible ways to escape without getting caught.

Luciano had no idea where I was and so no one would save me if things went bad.

I took a deep breath and followed the next street trying to get away from him.

I turned to my right and I saw those girls again. I walked toward them and luckily, they recognized me.

"Hey!!' The blonde cheered. "Come join us."

I gave a wide smile. "Thanks."

I stood beside them as they made orders for ice cream and gummy bear."

I loved how welcoming they seemed but I just needed to stay with them as a means of safety.

"It's Shallys birthday today!" The blonde announced. "She turned eighteen and dad allowed us have 24 hours without security."

"Oh," I blurted.

They were rich kids who were having the best time of their lives.

"Happy birthday Shally," I told the eldest one.

"Thanks," she smiled. "What's your name?"

"Tiffany."

"Come on Tiffany, join us explore."

I gave a nod and we headed for the next destination. I kept looking back trying to keep track.

I had it in my mind that I was still being followed but I remained calm.

When we got to the boutique, I picked out really cute outfits for Shally. She had a date later at night.

"You're so kind," she told me and I smiled at her.

"Shally, it's getting late and Dad is calling. Common, let's get home. Our drive is already here."

They turned to me and I waved at them. I had a good day and I couldn't deny it.

I boarded a bus back home. I took a seat and when a random guy stared at me, I remembered Massimo.

I thought of calling him but brushed it off.

I climbed out of the bus and took the shortest route back home.

I smiled all the way home as I thought if how eventful my day was.

The pancakes— ice cream and even the adrenaline rush. Lot's of adrenaline rushes.

The smile vanished the moment I saw Luciano waiting outside.

"I trusted you Tiffany and you fucking broke it."

(Don't be stingy.😔☹️🙁😕🥺
Please vote, Comment, and remember to add to your reading list)