69

The pillow felt so comfy as I laid on it. I placed my hands underneath it and adjusted so that I was facing the ceiling.

I took a deep breath and just remained there with a casual smile.

There was not much on my mind, just the feeling of satisfaction that the holidays had begun.

If there was anything that got me stressed out, it had to be driving to school everyday.

Although there were some days I didn't make it to school, I also had to do a few things and take care of business.

I sighed at the random thoughts coursing through my mind. There was not much to do so I sat up on my bed and thought of a drink.

I don’t usually drink early in morning—if at all—but I feel the urge to have a sensation in my throat. Tiffany has been gone a while and I don’t know what she’s doing or who she's out with.

I didn't ask her, not because I don't care but I wanted to give her sometime to realize we could. I grit my teeth as the strong, ‘homemade’ liquid of my second mouthful rolls down my throat.

I lowered the cup to the table and reached for my phone. I needed to discuss something really important with my father.

I had no idea why reaching him was being futile but I still kept on trying. I dialed his number for the second time in a row and the beep tone sounded in my ear.

He’d asked me to call him after the meeting was successfully the deal sealer; I would’ve thought he’d at least have the good grace to be expecting me.

It didn't seem like it anyway cause I was the one with the phone on my ear waiting for him to respond to his call and the texts I left.

I tossed the phone away and turned on to my back and gazed up at the ceiling as I tried to rid the thoughts.

He must've thought that I was calling to give him a bad news or maybe tell him it wasn't successful. That wasn't the case but he never missed a chance to remind me of how much I've lost and the opportunities I lost being a bitch.

Laying there brooding wasn’t helping anything. I decided I needed to occupy my mind and do something else so I stood up and reached for the door knob.

I paused and then turned back to look at the phone I left on the bed. Anyone could be in an emergency and so I walked back to the bed and picked up the phone.

Saying anyone was just a cover up for saying Tiffany. I just wanted to always be available for her in case she needed help or attempted to call me to save her or something.

I felt responsible for her and knowing she could need me at anytime just made me want to be readily accessible. 

I was about to shove the phone down my pocket when I stopped. I dialed my Father's number again, waiting for him to pick the call.

Luckily, as if waiting for the me to call again, he picked up and his hoarse voice filled the air.

I waited for him to say the first statement and when he did, I swallowed the lump that formed in my throat.

"Luciano," he said.

"Dad— Damn it dad, I've been trying I call you all day. Didn't you get my calls or my texts? I couldn't reach you and I was—"

"What happened?" He asked ignoring every thing I had said. His question was not based on what was happening to me but what made me leave those texts.

I swallowed hard. "I just wanted to talk."

"Business?"

"Yeah," I said with a small nod. "business."

"Okay. Tell me about it. What do you have?"

"The shipment," I answered him. "It's all set. I shipped the girls safely to Dubai."

"That's perfect," he said. "At least you could do something without an error."

I felt a bump in my chest but I brushed it off with a heave. I was used to getting such statements from him that a compliment didn't sound good coming from him.

"Hmm-hmm," I mouthed.

"Anyway, how are you preparing for your coronation? You know it's just some time from now."

Oh, that. I was worried about every other thing but this. He is right, the Coronation is only some time from now but I didn't have the slightest idea how to prepare for the position I was attaining.

"I wanted to know if you'd want some form of royalty and—"

"Dad!" I interrupted him. "Can you just stop with this whole thing? You barely ask of Tiffany and I. It's like we don't exist to you. You only care about your —"

"No," he rebutted. "I trust you Luciano and I know you can keep Tiffany and yourself safe. You're already in the mafia son. You can't let me down."

I didn't need his speech for it to dawn on me that I had the responsibility of taking care of Tiffany and ensuring her safety.

"I need to as you a question," he said and I swallowed hard.

"What's that?"

"What will you do if your woman or kids gets kidnapped?" He queried.

"I will not let that happen," I blurted.

"Then take care of Massimo."

His voice was now calm but stern and I could get the message he was trying to pass.

"I don't do kids stuff, Dad. Massimo's father isn't interfering so there's no need to—" I paused and tried to think of a better way to say it so I don't get my father pissed.

I felt the intensity and for a moment, I felt the exact pressure I felt five years ago

"I uh— what I mean is, can't we settle this in peace? It's already uh—"

Listen Luciano," my father started with a stern voice. "You have to be useful. Take the gun into the gun fight. Do not take a fucking dagger, he will shot you before you get close enough"