21. Lifeline

Mirrorball / Sansa Stark Out now!

''Dont embarrass me." Peter begged. 

"This is so exciting!" May declared. 

"I repeat, do not embarrass me. Keep all the Peter stories to the best and bravest of them and nothing that will make me look like a bigger dork than I already am, please." Peter added. 

"Oh that girl loves you, I could tell her every embarrassing story and she would still be smitten with you." May assured. 

"Hello Ser Criston." 

"Peter. This must be your aunt. Princess Helaena said you were coming."  Criston remarked. 

"Yes, this is my aunt May." Peter introduced. "Ser Criston is on the queens guard." 

"That's lovely." May agreed. "Can we go in?" 

"I got 'em Cole." Ser Anthony remarked. 

"Oh hello!" May declared catching up with Anthony. "I swear you get more and more handsome every time I see you." 

"May. Peter." Anthony answered. 

"Can we have a tour?" May questioned. "Of the castle-"

"Helaena will show us around." Peter assured. "Ser Anthony isnt a tour guide, he is a knight."

"Thank you, finally someone gets it. I worked hard for this title." Anthony reminded him. 

"Peter!" Helaena declared running to him, her legs lifted off the ground as he hugged her. May's hand went to her heart as she watched them. "And you must be aunt May, I have heard so much about you!" Helaena declared hugging her too and May never wanted to let go. 

"Peter talks about you constantly," May agreed. Helaena smiled back at Peter. 

"May was wondering if she could have a tour." Peter added. 

"Oh course, the castle is quite boring but maybe thats because I live here." Helaena offered. 

"Our little place is quite boring." May corrected. "This place... is magical already." 

"You want to see the throne?" Helaena questioned. 

"Helaenas favorite place is the gardens." Peter remarked. 

"Then lets start in the gardens." May agreed. "I'm sure they are beautiful." 

"They are, Helaena knows all the flowers and species of insects, she is really smart, like the smartest person I know, maybe the smartest person in westeros." Peter declared and Helaena blushed. 

"There are more smarter than I." helaena assured. 

"Not as smart and beautiful and kind." Peter corrected. Helaena leaned into him as they walked and May wished she was a high born lady so Peter would have had a real shot at getting this relationship with Helaena. SHe never minded her title before this, before she couldnt give peter the one thing he wanted more than anything in the entire world. 

"Camellia Middlemist's Red It's believed that there are only two specimens of this plant left. large, stunning bright pinkish-red rose-like blooms. But otherwise it seems quite common and easily mistaken for other species." Helaena informed them. 

"Beautiful." May agreed. 

"And over here is the Chocolate cosmos, it is named for the heavenly chocolate-vanilla scent of its flowers. The blooms range from to brown. The scent becomes more potent in the evening, which is why this cosmos is popular with the children, and Peter." Helaena added. 

"Smell it, it smells like chocolate, she is not lying." Peter agreed. "It is like I could eat the flower." May brought her nose to the center and took a deep breath. 

"I smell it, it smells like chocolate." May agreed. 

"Cool right?" Peter agreed. "Helaena has all this information stored in her mind, like how knows all this? Its amazing!" 

"Oh, over here!" Helaena grabbed Peter's hand pulling him along, May followed after them. "Black bat flowers have large, slightly bat-shaped black blooms, you see it?" Helaena questioned and May stared back at the flower. 

"Amazing." may agreed tiliting her head for a better look at the petals. 

"These flowers can grow up to 12 inches across. Each bloom sports several long tendrils that can be up to 28 inches long. The maesters and I study them for the citadel," she added. 

"The citadel, you will have your work in the citadel, thats wonderful!" May declared. 

"Peter thought so too, Aegon thought it was stupid." Helaena murmured. 

"But we dont care what Aegon says because he is a mean drunk." Peter remarked and Helaena smiled nodding back at him. 

" Black bat flowers are one of westeros rarest black flowers, which itself is the world's rarest flower color." Helaena added softly. 

"I dont think I have ever seen a black flower." may agreed. 

"Come on you want to see the kitchens, we can get some lunch." Helaena offered. "I think I skipped breaking my fast, I was so excited to meet you."

"You were excited to meet me?" May questioned feeling tears in her eyes. 

"Of course, you are Peter's person." Helaena declared. "I can't imagine having a person take me in and love me like you take care of peter... like..." Helaena smiled looking to Peter. "I suppose I can because Peter takes care of me." Helaena added and he grabbed her hand, he wanted to kiss her but that would be frowned upon in public. 

It was an act of childlike intimacy, but it almost made her feel like crying, as he laced their fingers together. Helaena held tight to his hand like a lifeline.