32. Save Her

''The Iron Throne was yours by blood and by temperament. Viserys would've lived his days a country lord, content to hunt and study his histories, but... here we are. We do not rule but we may guide the men that do. Gently... away from violence and sure destruction and instead toward peace." Alicent offered hopefully but Rhaenys pulled away from her storming the room with a groan.

''Ugh. Is it in the name of peace that you've imprisoned me? And what of my dragon?" Rhaenys questioned not looking to Alicent her anger rising.

''If we are overmatched, Rhaenyra will be tempted to strike us, and war will ensue." Alicent reasoned. ''Without your dragon, she may be persuaded to negotiate. If it's Driftmark you want, you shall have it for you and your granddaughters to pass on as you see fit."

" You are wiser than I believed you to be... Alicent Hightower." Rhaenys turned to her venom in her gaze.

" A true queen counts the cost to her people."

" And yet you toil still in service to men. Your father, your husband, your son. You desire not to be free, but to make a window in the wall of your prison. Have you never imagined yourself... on the Iron Throne?" Rhaenys countered and Alicent stared at her for a long moment a heavy silence filled them.

'' I'll leave you with your thoughts. Ring the bell when you have an answer.'' Alicent offered instead as she left the door sealing closed behind her.

"Have you?" ALicent jumped at Helaena's voice. 

"Have I what darling?" Alicent countered lowering her hand from her racing heart. 

"Pictured yourself on the iron throne." Helaena clarified. 

"Have you?"

"No." Helaena answered without hesitation. ALicent offered her a small smile. 

"I wish I was as honorable as you. I have thought it on occasion." ALicent admitted. 

"Peter found Aegon." Helaena added. 

"Peter- how?" ALicent questioned confused. 

"Peter has ways."

+

"A sacrifice. A sacrifice made for the stability of the realm. No king has ever lived that hasn't had to forfeit the lives of a few to protect the many. Though I understand your squeamishness." Otto demanded

"Reluctance to murder is not a weakness!" Alicent spat. 'I have Aegon. We'll proceed now as I see fit.'' Alicent let out a heavy sigh. ''We will send terms to Rhaenyra on Dragonstone. True terms, such that she may accept without shame."

"If she lives, her allies will mass behind her banners, looking for her return."

"Then she must not return. My husband would have desired this mercy be shown to his daughter." Alicent said confidently.

"Your husband? Or you, his daughter's childhood companion?" Otto countered.

"What are they saying?" Helaena questioned. 

"Aegon will be king, neither sound really happy about it though." Peter remarked honestly. 

"Aegon will be king, Gods we are doomed." Helaena grumbled. 

"You believe your mother? What she said about your father picking aegon with his last breath?" Peter questioned. 

"I think she heard what she wanted to hear after last nights fiasco." Helaena countered hoenstly. 

"Criston Cole will be named Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. My son will be anointed tomorrow at dawn. The whole of King's Landing must witness his ascent. He will assume authority. There will be no more dithering. My son will take the crown of his namesake, the Conqueror, and carry Blackfyre, his sword. Let the people remember the ancient strength of House Targaryen." Alicent said as confident as a queen.