Prologue

ATTENTION

This is not a standalone story. Be sure to check out the first book of the series - Perfect Marriage, before starting this book.

The story so far-

Arnav and Khushi met first at the movies where Khushi mistook Arnav to be a creep, only to find that Arnav was one of the possible suitors and would one day be her fiancee. And bipidi bopodi boo, they are married with the blessing of their parents. An arranged marriage for crying out loud, yet to find their feet on the ground.

Characters in the story-

· Scooby - Arnav & Khushi's pet dog

· Akash & Payal - Arnav's younger brother and his wife

· Nk & Lavanya - Khushi's best friend and his office crush

· Shyam & Anjali - Arnav's best friend and his wife

Khushi's POV
I texted Arnav that I'll be home a little late and if he could take Scooby out for a walk. To be honest, I'm a little scared and nervous to ask him since Scooby is technically my dog and by marriage, his. Ever since marriage, he didn't seem to care much about it and it was me taking him out for walks and playtime. I guess Scooby's only my responsibility then. My scooter, on the way back home, stopped working. Battery issue, I guess. And I literally had to walk a good kilometer, dragging my two-wheeler along with me and it was drizzling. Great, just great - I thought. I thought I will call Arnav and ask for help but my phone was out of battery. Today is just not my day. I didn't even have an umbrella with me so I foolishly ran home through the rain since I wanted to get home early and sleep.

I just got home from work and my period is not as bad as yesterday. But, still, that bloody mess is there and I'm hating it. All I wanted to do is flop on the sofa and snore away.

Walking inside the house, I took off that pain-in-the-ass flats, that were now covered in mud. Great, I have to wash this also now. Letting out a small sigh, I looked around our clean home. Scooby came running to my side with his feet covered in mud. Dear God, why ??

The scene when I got home was not what I hoped. Not what anyone had hoped for. There were muddy dog footprints all over the house. Before I could even make it to the hallway, I could smell something burning. It was coming from the kitchen.

In instinct panic mode, I sprinted to the kitchen just to Arnav trying to cook dinner but to my notice, it was already burnt. I guess Scooby must have thought that it was playtime and must have distracted Arnav while cooking, which might have led him to burn dinner.

"Arnav?" - I call him since he didn't notice my presence. Upon seeing me, he looked kinda mad and angry.

Oh Scooby, what did you do now?

"Hi" - he replied. I could sense that he was trying to control his anger since he was clenching his jaws and he looked fierce.

I knew I had to take control and save whatever is left of the night. I mentally made a to-do list in my mind.
My priorities right now are dinner and cleaning the messy house.

"Can you please order in?" - I suggested, silently hoping that I didn't piss him off with the suggestion since he tried to cook dinner and Scooby messed it up.

Sighing deeply, he looked at me rather tired and asked - "Any preference?"

"I'm okay with anything." - I replied

Honestly, I'm in no mood for food, but it's not wise to skip dinner, especially during my period.

While Arnav went to the living room to order us dinner, I threw the burnt pan onto the kitchen sink, to soak up the burnt mess. And there next to me, was the sweet innocent culprit who looked like he had nothing to do with the whole mess in the living room. His tail was waggling like he wanted to play more. Like he wants to.

"Bad boy, Scooby" - I watched his tail wagging slow down and finally stop. And his ears droop a little, making me feel slightly guilty about yelling at him. But, that puppy needs to be trained.

"You got the house all messy and burnt dinner tonight. You are grounded for the next two months. No treats for you." - he looked at me with those puppy dog eyes.

I'm sorry, Mom.

Stay strong, Khushi. Don't melt into his eyes.
"Fine, one month."
I locked him up in the guest bathroom whilst I mopped the floor. Arnav said that he will do it but I felt guilty since it was my dog that messed it up. Scooby was barking and scratching the door the whole time.

I took a deep breath and rubbed my forehead. I sense a headache Incoming.
The delivery guy bought dinner and I told Arnav to have dinner and that I will have it once I give Scooby a bath. Giving Scooby a bath was easier said than done since that little tiny demon hates baths. But, today was not the day I chose to lose. After giving him a rather long shower thanks to Scooby's whining and post-patting him dry, I let Scooby out of the bathroom, only to find him running up to Arnav, who was sitting there at the dinner table. Waiting for me.

I badly wanted to take a shower myself but I didn't want to keep him waiting so I grabbed a bite or two. Arnav looked at me rather strangely. Normally, I would be the one gobbling up food but not today.

Arnav's POV
All I wanted was a chill day back home. I was already upset that we couldn't save one of my patients today. He came in a critical condition and he just has to pass away. The last thing I wanted was to cook dinner or even that little demon out for a walk. And worse, get scolded for that..!! Even the weather was not in my favor since it rained while Scooby and I were returning home from a walk. And hence, the muddy footprints.

Khushi looked very tired when she got back home. I guess she sensed that I was not in the greatest of moods and took control of the whole scene at home. And whilst she was giving Scooby a bath, I washed out the utensil in which I had burnt dinner and cleaned up the kitchen.

As I watched her take bites of dinner,I could see the exhaustion in her eyes.
"Mom invited us for dinner tomorrow. I told her that I will check with you and confirm."
I watched her as she ran some mental calendar in her head and then tell me -
"Cool, my work should get over by 6 tomorrow"
"Great, then. I will pick you??" - I asked her.
Khushi - "That would be great. Thanks"
And after dinner, Khushi washed the dishes while I wiped them dry and put them in their respective places.
And both of us just crashed on the bed, exhausted from our day.

That night, rain poured down incessantly, fulfilling the air with a full body chill and crisp earth kiss. As the sky rumbled and shook, the coolness in the air rose up.
In my sleep, I may have scooted over to Khushi in search of some warmth. Because the next time I know that Khushi sort of startled me awake and elbowed me right on the nose. I should have known better.

Ever since we got married viz like 2 months ago, Khushi has always maintained an invisible boundary line on a bed that she refuses to cross over to my side. Most mornings, I'm usually the one who would wake up on her side of bed and so far, she hasn't said anything about it yet.

Khushi apologized numerous times to me for hitting on my nose and hence the nosebleed. After a few minutes, both of us went back to bed. With just one difference, my nose is now stuffed with cotton to soak up the blood.

As I tried to sleep, I felt Khushi rolling over the bed constantly... trying to get into a comfortable place. Seeing that she was having a hard time finding a comfortable position, I pulled her into my arms, and.. she was warm. In fact, she was hot. Burning with fever. How could I have missed this??

 How could I have missed this??