Chapter 2

Date published - 2 Oct

Khushi's POV

I was busy debugging the code for a function that is going live this month's end. The software is telling me that there is an error on line 1006. But there are only 950 lines of code!!!

Someone teach this computer numbers. Urgh, I just want to throw my laptop into the garbage and just when I was about to go to the kitchen and grab a snack to cool myself, I hear a knock at the bedroom door.

It was Arnav, holding his laptop. I want chocolate! Not him!

Arnav hesitantly asked me - "Can I bother you for a second?"

I muttered, "You always bother me, but go ahead."

Arnav handled his laptop and asked - "Can you please proofread my research paper?"

"Sure, leave it on the table. I will get back to you." And just when I was about to leave my rolling chair and head to the kitchen for a quick snack, he threw a bomb. A figurative bomb, that is.

"Can you do it by tomorrow 8 am?" - He requested hesitantly. Is he kidding me right now? My clock read 8 pm and he wants me to proof this Word document in two hours, viz tonight since I need my beauty sleep.

He's kidding, for sure.

Even with my super speed, I don't think I would be able to finish it on time.

I looked at him - are you kidding me right now?

"Please?" - He requested with his pleading eyes, giving tough competition to Scooby's but my alliance lies with Scooby, no matter how alluring Arnav's eyes are.

"What's my reward?" - I got back into my chair and found that nasty bug. Turns out I missed a semicolon. A freaking semicolon.

"What do you want?" - He asked, laying down on the bed. His posture screaming of exhaustion and tension.

"Chocolates and five months of" - I began my quote. I guess I quote too little since Arnav peaked up from the bed.

"Five months of..?" - He leaned against the bed frame.

"You doing the dishes?" - I smirked and his smile faded. Was that too harsh? Maybe I should reduce the time sentences. Nay, he deserves to rot.

"Three months." - He offered. Is he seriously bargaining? Honestly, he should just give into it and allow me more time to proofread instead of trying to bargain with me. But, should I lower the time period? My heart is telling me to take pity on my husband and agree to his bargain. But my mind was not ready to let down the guard and make him suffer a little.

"Five or nothing. And you are wasting my time" - I placed my final offer.

Arnav's POV

I came home from a long night and found Khushi working in the office room aka the other bedroom.

After handling her my laptop and agreeing to a rather tedious deal, I sulked. Yep, I'm doing the dishes for the next five months. I don't know why I thought I can even bargain with her.

Also, it's my fault. I should have come to her at the last moment. I watched her chewing on some candy as she glanced at my research paper. It was rather painful to watch since I felt that every damn line was getting rewritten. Dear God, don't tell me that there are too many mistakes. I literally have to submit the paper tomorrow afternoon for the first review.

I couldn't bear the sight of my paper getting graded, by my wife no less, so I quietly laid on the bed.

I woke to the sound of Khushi humming some song while she was busy on my laptop. The clock read 2 am. I watched her humming her favorite song while reading in bed, I guess waiting for me to wake up from my deep slumber. She must have put a blanket over me at some time since I don't remember sleeping with one.