6

"Yes, mom," I chuckled over the phone, my voice competing with the sizzling sound of pancakes cooking on the greasy pan. Outside, thunder rumbled, making it challenging to decipher my mother's words.

Tonight, it was just me and the housemaid at home. The rest of the family had gone to visit Taehyung's distant relative, whose son had tragically passed away. As fate would have it, I was suffering from both menstrual cramps and a stomach ache, which kept me from joining them.

As soon as everyone left, my mother called. Finally, we had the chance to talk freely after a long time, and I had missed it dearly. "Send me the picture of your dress again, honey. I accidentally deleted it," she requested. I mentally facepalmed and turned off the stove, knowing that multitasking would be futile. "You're so clumsy, Mom," I teasingly remarked.

"No way! These smartphones are just too complicated," I laughed, pretending to sympathize with her struggles. However, as the thunder roared louder, her voice began to fade amidst the cacophony. Concentrating on her words became increasingly challenging.

Just as I was pouring chocolate syrup over my pancakes, a deafening noise echoed from the basement, startling me for a moment. Yet, I quickly composed myself. It sounded like a glass object shattering.

I remembered that Ms. Sook, the housemaid, had been cleaning the basement earlier. Concern flooded my mind as I assumed that she might have injured herself. Mother's voice struggled to reach my ears amid the growing commotion. "Mom, I'll call you back in a few moments," I abruptly ended the call.

Despite the bright lights illuminating the hallway, the relentless rainstorm outside cast a somber ambiance. Determined, I descended the stairs towards the basement, each step taking me further away from the well-lit comfort of the house.

"Ms. Sook?" I called out, hoping for a response. The darkness deepened, forcing me to retrieve my flashlight. Its beam pierced through the shadows, illuminating the path before me.

The basement door stood ajar, indicating that Ms. Sook might still be inside, diligently working away. Initially, there was no trace of fear in my mind. However, I would soon come to realize that my assumption was a grave mistake. Undeterred, I went forward.

Upon entering the vast room, a scene of neglect greeted my eyes. Dust and cobwebs were scattered in the whole place, while discarded cartons and aging furniture lay scattered aroung too. A cough escaped me involuntarily as the dust invaded my mouth, but I pressed on.

My gaze swept across the room, searching for any sign of Ms. Sook, but she remained not to be seen. The room would have been consumed by pitch darkness were it not for the narrow beam of light from my flashlight. "Ms. Sook?" I called out repeatedly, met with only an eerie silence that permeated the vast space.

A shriek erupted from my lips when the basement door slammed shut behind me, the force of its impact reverberating through the room. "What the fuck?" I cried out, rushing towards the exit and pulling on the door with all my might. To my dismay, my efforts proved futile; the door seemed locked from the outside. But who could have done this? Ms. Sook? Why?

Fear gripped me, and I found myself trembling as I surveyed the room. It remained empty and devoid of sound, except for the unsettling realization that I was trapped. Desperate, I pressed myself against the door, seeking solace in its perceived safety.

"Ms. Sook, please open the door," I pleaded in a quivering voice.

"Please get me out of here!" I yelled, my voice trembling with fear as tears streamed down my face. The room exuded an icy chill, and I hugged myself tightly, seeking solace against the cold wall. With trembling hands, I mustered the courage to dial Taehyung's number, knowing I needed urgent help.