one

EVELYN BRADSHAW WORKED at a bakery in London. It was only small, being managed by her best friend Leona Quinn after she'd found the empty property on the sales market. At the time the friends were lost in what to do. Of course, Evelyn was lucky enough to find some desperate modelling jobs across the city, but she knew that wouldn't be enough - especially when her heart laid elsewhere. That was when Leona had the brilliant idea of running a small, local bakery in a cheap, rundown shop in central London.

They spent thousands of their savings decorating the place to their liking, and after opening, they quickly found themselves at a steady pace. Customers were returning weekly, reviews were skyrocketing, and the two girls were earning an income exceeding their expectations. It was like a dream come true.

Evelyn had grown up baking muffins and scrolls in her family kitchen. Her parents would always scold her for dropping dough on the floor and getting flour in her hair, but all she would do was laugh. From school baking competitions to local cupcake-making contests, the blonde would continuously walk home with a gold prize. While it wasn't all she had in her, Evelyn was applauded time and time again for her cooking feats. She loved it every single time.

As of that August, the bakery had been open for four months. Leona, as the manager and overall owner of the store, had employed others over the span of the bakery's life, yet everyone knew the two girls were the main workers. There were other bakers for when Evelyn needed help or had a modelling gig booked, but Leona always relied solely on her to get the job done. Only because she knew the blonde had it in her, of course.

One summer afternoon, as Leona and Evelyn were closing the shop, the blonde's phone rang from the inside of the pocket. The two girls had a rule - whenever the shop was open, phones remained unanswered - but since the door was locked and customers were no longer allowed inside, Evelyn plucked the device out of her back pocket.

"Who is it?" Leona asked from the other side of the counter, mopping the floor.

Evelyn furrowed her brows, muttering his name before quickly answering the call. "George Clarke."