thirteen

EVELYN WAS STRESSED

EVELYN WAS STRESSED. The day had hit the tenth of October. She was attending the Knives Out: Glass Onion premiere, Arthur tagging along with her, but she just couldn't stop worrying. What if the dress didn't fit? What if Arthur's car broke down? What if it started storming? Was it inside? Was the roof stable? Was it even worth going?

She had been alone for the majority of the day, the designer Tommy Hilfiger assigned her having arrived with her dress earlier that afternoon only to leave straight after her hair and makeup were complete. Having taken a quick glance at the outfit through the transparent covering, the blonde had shuddered and turned away. It looked terrifying, yet astonishingly beautiful at the same time.

It was all black, the silk catching the light from the window and glimmering eternally. The top half puffed in all directions, clearly being designed to hang off her shoulders. She'd been told it'd been adjusted to fit her body length and width entirely. How they got that information, she wasn't exactly sure.

Eventually, as Arthur texted her that he was leaving, she drew in a deep breath and glanced back at the gown covered in sheeting. She cracked her fingers, biting her lips. She had to put it on at some point - that point being now.

She grabbed the dress and it's packet and pattered to her bathroom, breath staying steady. In and out, she repeated in a mutter as she softly closed the door behind her. In and out, she mumbled in a whisper as she stepped into the dark dress. In and out, in and out, in and out. She never stopped saying that until she opened her eyes and looked in the mirror, mouth falling open in astoundment.

She swiveled on her feet, the dress swaying over her hips as she stared deep into her reflection. Giddily, she grinned and softly stomped her feet, letting out a squeal quietened by her palms. She couldn't help herself, the dress suited her better than anything else ever had before.

Just as she was snapping a photo to send to Leona, the doorbell sounded beside her apartment door. She glanced at herself in the mirror one last time as she lowered her phone, a thin layer of red spreading like wildfire beneath her eyes, before she fanned it away and walked quickly towards the door.