thirty seven

EVELYN BRADSHAW WAS astounded. As she woke up alone in a bed she knew had been occupied by more than one person, she stared at the ceiling in thought. She thought back to the time she'd stumbled into the room at the end of the hall in George and Alex's house. She thought back to the time when Arthur and his friends walked into her shop at four in the morning. She thought back to the time when Arthur went out of his way to make her comfortable. She thought back to the time when he left her, alone, on the balcony at midnight. Now look at me, she thought. Look where I am now.

Reluctantly, she climbed out of bed. After taking ten minutes to make sure she looked presentable, she walked out of her room and followed the scent of bacon and burnt eggs out into the living space. With a surprised expression, her eyes latched onto Arthur's back, who was hovering over a sizzling pan of worryingly dark eggs.

"Shit, shit, shit," he cursed beneath his breath as he lifted the pan away from the stove. Hurriedly, he tipped the eggs into the bin and threw the pan into the sink, running cold water over it's steaming surface. While he waited for it to simmer down, he sighed and looked across the room, instantly jumping on the spot. "Jesus, Lynn, you scared the hell out of me."

"Sorry, sorry," she laughed quietly as she walked over. He opened his arms, gesturing her to come closer.

"Merry Christmas, Lynn," he murmured as she pressed herself into his chest, wrapping their arms around each other. The man kissed the temple of her forehead while the blonde relaxed in his hold.

"Merry Christmas, Arthur," she said softly into his shoulder. He smiled.

"I'm glad we've moved away from Mr Television now. I don't know how much longer I could've handled it," he teased as she pulled away. She moved over to the bin as she let out a laugh, peering inside of it.

"How in the world have you managed to burn eggs? They don't even look like eggs anymore!" She hissed jokingly. However, when she turned around, she realised he hadn't been listening. Instead, he held a neatly wrapped box out towards her, eyes bright and smile wide. "Oh, Arthur . . ."