twenty one

EVELYN BRADSHAW HAD started reading the thirty-seventh page of The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf when the starting whistle was blown. She'd momentarily glanced up, watching Simon start the match by kicking the ball back to Harry. She caught a glimpse of Arthur's excited smile as he ran down the left wing before immediately book-marking the page and sitting it on the seat beside her. She knew it was bad sportsmanship, but she'd only watch if Arthur was on the field or if the play, which she knew absolutely nothing about, was genuinely entertaining. She never ended up picking her book back up.

Most people were down on the sidelines of the field, most of which being the filming crew, club owners, physios, teammates and other guests. A few people were sitting on their chosen seats in the stands, Evelyn being the only person to sit in the area she'd felt drawn to. She was about nine rows up from the pitch, the view providing a huge range in sight of the entire field and all the players. Luckily, as if fate had intervened itself, Arthur was playing on the side directly in front of her grand stand.

Arthur was kept on for the entirety of the first part of the game. The whole time Evelyn had her brows drawn in with confusion, because she thought she knew the basic rules of what was occurring, but according to the referees constant whistle blows, she was wrong. The England team were getting pulled up for almost everything they did, most commonly being at the hands of Arthur. Even Evelyn, a girl who'd never played a game of football in her life, knew something was wrong.

She watched Arthur run alongside someone from the Scottish team, occasionally glancing up with raised brows as he dribbled it down the sidelines. The blonde stood up with a proud smile in order to get a better view, even moving away from her bag and book to stand in the middle of the aisle. However, just as he was about to pass it off to another one of his teammates, the Scottish player kicked it out-of-bounds.

The Referee blew his whistle and raised his flag, and while Arthur walked over with a hand running down his face, clearly exhausted, the umpire directed the flag towards the other end, signifying the oppositions ball.