thirty six

BREATHING. BREATHING IS an action you need to stay alive. Inspiration. Expiration. Drawing in air, letting it fill your lungs, before letting it out. Simple. Easy. Something most people know how to do. People do it mindlessly. They do it in their sleep. They do it when they're walking. They do it when they're watching a movie. They do it everywhere, at everytime they can. Sometimes, however, everything gets unbearable and you seem to forget how.

It all started to crumble when Arthur and Evelyn walked into their hotel room. Due to George's sly, but not so sly, plan, the two were paired up together. How convenient. Arthur and Evelyn. The brunet and the blonde. The youtuber and the baker. The meant to be, or not meant to be. Evelyn still didn't know.

It was silent as they unpacked. The woman was tired, yawning every second step she took, while the man was lost in thought. The blonde clearly remembered turning around, brows furrowed with confusion, as her eyes latched onto his frozen figure. His body was hovering over his suitcase, one hand holding a shirt - entirely unmoving.

"Arthur?" She asked. As if a switch had flicked inside him, he abruptly stood up. His back was straight, too straight, and his shoulders were pushed back instead of loosening into his typically-relaxed state. His eyes were sharp and his jaw was tight. Everything was tight, just like the air. Evelyn could feel the tension from across the room.

He parted his lips, finally looking at her. Not her skin, not the exterior of the woman, at her. He was looking directly into her heart.

"Do you ever think about it?" He asked. His words split the air, sending a jagged line through the miniscule atoms until it ended at the tip of her nose. She froze. Suddenly, their roles had reversed.

Did she ever think about it? Did she? Within her brain, she laughed. Of course, just after she'd decided to push it all behind them, he dug it back up again. Months ago, he'd planted a dead tree and left it there for her to deal with. She was too scared to do anything, too scared to make a move. Finally, months later, she found the courage to dig it up and toss it away, only to come back an hour later and find it planted, again, with Arthur holding the shovel.