four

TWO WEEKS LATER, Evelyn had woken up at two in the morning to go to her and Leona's bakery. Over the past several weeks since the eventful house party at George and Alex's place, Evelyn and Arthur had texted each other numerous times a day. Often at times, both individuals found themselves keenly awaiting responses and smiling as the familiar notification popped up on their phones. However, they had jobs, and responsibilities, and interests that laid outside of one anothers messages. So, with their minds elsewhere, their normal life continued on as it had before the party.

On the first of September, Evelyn was humming to the music softly playing through the speakers above her as she rolled out the red velvet cookie dough along the clean bench. She tilted her head, admiring the way the bright red dough caught the light and glistened. 

At the same time, Arthur had been walking the empty streets of London with his friends Theo Baker and Chris Dixon. They were in the midst of filming a video for the shortest of the group, but due to the need to fly to Jersey, they found the only available flight to be at six in the morning. So, with backpacks slung around their shoulders, they headed in the direction of a place they knew would be open.

Only a few days after meeting one another, Arthur had asked more about Evelyn being a baker. Briefly, she had explained how her and Leona opened a shop, Hearts and Flours, with the intention of it failing drastically, only to find it becoming rapidly popular. She also mentioned how she often started extremely early in the morning alone until the time struck six, when another employee would arrive and help tend to the customers.

When Evelyn worked in the mornings, she left the front door unlocked incase someone desperate for food or coffee happened to be walking past. She only flicked the lock off when the clock struck four, due to her nagging anxiety telling her that the possibility of a drunk person stumbling into the store with a knife had a great possibility of occurring at that time in the morning. Even so, she rarely got anyone walking into the store, unless being to seek warmth.