eleven

A WEEK AFTER Arthur's video had been uploaded, Evelyn was only just getting used to the repetitive comments and messages on her socials. People would spam her dms with questions about herself and how beautiful she looked, and while most of these were lovely, she never responded to any of them, due to her friend's suggestions.

George, Arthur and Alex had all spoke to her about the messages they frequently got, Alex's being the worst. As stated before, most of the messages Evelyn received were heartwarming and made her smile, but some of them, just a slither, were entirely disturbing.

The messages ranged from let me take you out on a date to drunk admissions of I would do stuff to you for free and even to the extreme - what Evelyn hoped was only a joke - statements of I know where you live. Evelyn didn't tell anyone she was getting those sorts of messages, not even Arthur or Leona, only that she was constantly getting spammed by her loving and caring fans. They all believed her, Arthur more hesitant with the mere fact that he sort of knew what is was like to be in her position, but forgot about it anyway. He didn't think it was a big deal, nor did she. She'd take it back in a heartbeat.

It was nearing the end of September, meaning the leaves on the trees would quickly morph from their bright green colour into a dark, mysterious orange and burnt brown. The clock had just ticked over nine o'clock, calling the end of Evelyn's shift. However, there was still a short line down the centre of the bakery, and with her coworker only just pushing her way through the front door and out of the cold wind, she waved one of the customers forward.

"Hi, how are you today?" The blonde asked politely as a man with neatly cut hair stepped closer to the counter. Evelyn noticed that he had an unused cigarette tucked behind his left ear and he'd left his collar upturned. Inwardly, she rolled her eyes. Not that she depended on stereotypes, but the statistics she'd kept within her brain told her that the man wouldn't be her favourite.

"Hello, ma'am," he said with a mixture of a smirk and a grin, leaning his arm coated in his denim jacket on the glass display between the two. Evelyn shuddered inside, she'd just cleaned that. "Or should I say . . . Evelyn?"