two

IT TURNED OUT that Max made his drinks especially strong - something Evelyn wasn't particularly used to. While she only had one small drink, she could still actively feel the alcohol coursing through her veins as she pushed through the dancing and chatting people dotted around the house. She was completely in control of her body, the only thing accelerated being her confidence and need. She needed to breathe. She needed just a moment without feeling someone brush up against her arm.

She kept walking back, purposely ignoring the staircase as couples attached to one another were pressed against walls and carried into rooms. She stumbled down the lengthy hall, the amount of people she saw lowering drastically in amount the further she moved. When she got to the end of it, the space widening out into a back area filled with couches, benches, and all sorts of spare items, she was thankful to find it empty. However, she only thought it was empty. When she walked inside the room and locked eyes with a man sitting on the corner of the couch, she stopped in her spot.

He was tapping at the screen of his phone, the green lighting illuminating his eyes as he bit his lip in focus. It was an L-shaped sofa, and he was pressed into the inner corner, knees perched up beside him for further comfort. However, as soon as he saw movement out of the corner of his eye, he glanced up.

Evelyn widened her eyes, hand moving up to cover her apologetic lips. "I'm so sorry," she whispered, brows raised. "I didn't realise you were in here."

The man with brown hair shrugged with a smile. "That's okay, I knew someone would come in here eventually," he said, phone illuminating his dark features through the shadows cast across the room. She fiddled with her fingers, glancing between the man and the door she'd just walked through.

"Do you care if I sit . . . I'll be quiet, I promise," she tried with a hopeful grin. She rolled from her toes to the balls of her feet.

The man on the couch laughed, moving a hand up to play with his hair. "You don't have to ask," he grinned, clearly amused. Evelyn let out a sigh of relief, the alcohol pumping through her head as she rolled up her suit jacket sleeves and fell on the opposite end of the couch. She dragged her knees up to her chest as she took the time to breathe without the annoyance of drunk people in their twenties knocking her over.