Voice Note

"Are you sure you will be fine all by yourself?" he asked worriedly, the sun setting in the sky, the orange light reflecting into the car, shining on my boyfriend like an halo.

It reminded me of how beautiful he looks and how lucky i am.

"Don't worry. I will be alright." i was more worried about him getting home on time because he lives on the island which means he had to go all over.

"It's getting late, it is dangerous for you to be out by this hour" he said eyeing a group of rowdy looking boys gathered over the woman selling cheap spirits and alcohol across the road, i giggled "what is funny?"

"You are acting funny. Have you forgotten that this is my hood? I know my way" i assured but he still looks skeptical "I promise to call you once i get home and besides i don't think it is a safe and logical thing to do by entering my hood with this your ride" i advised.

Bringing his car in is like begging to be robbed.

"And how am i sure if you would be safe or not?"

"I will be fine... " he sulked "Akorede"

"Fine fine" he back down with a grumble.

"I will be going now.. Make sure you head straight home" i throw him a kiss which he caught "Bye... "

I waved in a flirting manner, before turning away, aware of his eyes watching me.

He was right, it was getting dark and i know my way through this slump like the back of my hand. That did not stop me from encountering some idiots anyway.

"Mmppttttt!" rolling my eyes at the sharp sound, as if i am a dog. Ignoring the call "Baby girl... " came the cat call, the hard voice is not romantic at all, portraying the constant use of hard drugs and cannabis.

"Na your mama be baby girl" i sassed loud enough for whosoever it was to hear.

"Wetin you say?!" his voice sounding hard by the second as i hear heavy footsteps coming towards my direction.

A scoff left my lips, folding my arms, i turn around to see the imbecile.

They were three in number, all rugged looking with hard faces. We were both the same age and their leader who made the call glared at me, i stared harder and it must have finally clicked when he saw my face properly.

"Ha ha... Iya mii, Small Pepper! Mi mo pe eyin nii"

"Ode tii wa mo bayii. Maa phor o" i warned.

"Mii phor mii phor" raising his hands in the air alongside his friends "maa binu, omo aye!"

"Mii jo awon eni tii en phor lenu abi?" i hissed before turning away from him, ignoring him as him and his friends hail the hell out of me.

It is at time like this that i appreciate the fact that my step brother is a street lord, they would have pieced me.

I got home, quickly doing one or two chores, helping my mom in making dinner. After dinner, i had my bath, put on my night clothes before sitting back in my room to relax.

Picking up my phone, i finally grew the courage to know what's going on. I turn off the airplane mode, waiting a while before turning on my mobile data.

"Jesus!" i exclaimed due to the notifications and messages exploding my phone. I stared with wide eyes at my phone. I had to put it aside when i realized it hung due to the messages.