𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟕.

Jora

Jora

It was a bright and sunny Monday afternoon when a soft pounding knocked on our door. I had just gotten back from a gurgling hot pilates class with Sade but mustered up the strength and energy to run downstairs to answer it.

Every Monday for the past three weeks, there has been a gift.

Week one, flowers and my favorite candy.

Week two, he sent me a stack of fashion books. He had to do some heavy research on these books, I remembered seeing a few that he brought in a few Vogue best of lists.

Week three, he had my favorite pastries from Porto's delivered, and three gold bracelets from Bulgari that would be replacing my everyday stack. I was a bracelet girl, he knew that.

It was week four and when I opened the door, I squealed at the sight of two bouquets of flowers. They were a beautiful mix of soft oranges, pinks, and purples. I took the bouquets with a wide smile on my face and barely registered the other box that was being placed into my hand.

I giddily skipped into the kitchen and placed the box onto the counter before running to find two vases. I filled them up with water and replaced the old flowers that sat in the middle of our dining room table with the new flowers.

Opening the other box, I shook my head as I pulled out two jerseys from this year's season with his number on it. Just as I was about to throw the box into the recycling bin, an envelope fell out.

How could I forget!

With each week came a new handwritten card with the cheesiest sayings that only Kyler could come up with written on them.

𝐊𝐞𝐞𝐩 𝐦𝐞 𝐜𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭
—𝐊𝐲

Inside of the envelope was a necklace with a pendant on— the number 1. His jersey number.

Carefully taking the necklace in my hands, I clasped it around my neck and adjusted the number in the center of my chest. Picking up my phone, I took a quick selfie of me smiling and showing off the necklace and sent it to him.

" More flowers!" Sade gasped. " Kyler is putting in overtime with the groveling. You don't even know the names of half of the flowers he's sending you."

I shrug. " I'm learning. Pretty soon I will be a certified flower connoisseur all thanks to him," my head cocks to the side as I tweak with the flowers in the vase.

" I don't know how you do it," Sade hands me a protein shake from the fridge. " If Derrick was sending me gifts and flowers every week, I would be dropping my panties and riding him until I can't anymore the moment I see."

I nearly choke on my shake from laughing. Wiping the corners of my mouth, I nodded and turned around. "Trust me, it's hard but gifts aren't the only action that needs to take place before he gets a taste of all of this," I motioned to my sweaty body.