Found Family

Touya may have gone a little overboard.
He ended up leaving with paint, paintbrushes, a few small canvases and he'd bought her a crépe, too, for when they sat with the ducks.
Money wasn't too much of an issue. Shigaraki had paid him, and even chucked him extra because Moonfish had fucked his arm up.
He didn't want little Star worrying about money, anyway.

She was too young. And a ten year old using the word 'selfish' when referring to themselves really didn't sit right with him.
Something about that stank of an adult telling her she was selfish before, and from the sounds of it, it didn't sound like she was ever in a position to ever really be truly 'selfish' in her previous life.

Not like Touya.

Sure, his childhood wasn't necessarily the best, but his old man had an abundance of money, and wasn't shy of throwing it at his kids and wife to 'fix' the problems he'd made.
Touya had been known to thrown tantrums when he didn't get his way before. Hell, sometimes he lost his temper now when things didn't go how he wanted them to. It was a rite of passage of being a kid.
In fact, he wanted her to be a little more selfish. Whatever she did was either for him, or to help someone else out, like she needed to prove herself, or pull her weight, when it really wasn't expected of her. 

She still didn't quite seem to understand that she wasn't in any danger of Touya leaving her, or getting mad at her in a way that would put her in any kind of danger, or refusing anything she wanted or needed... within reason.
Touya was a ride or die. It took a while for him to warm up to people, but once he did, once they'd earned his respect and trust, he'd protect them to the death. And if they destroyed that faith he put in them, well...
He hadn't really had a plan while he was on the streets. He knew he wanted to do something big. Something to get back at his old man. But had no clue how to get around to doing it, until Shigaraki and his gang came along.

He knew he was on a time limit physically. Sekoto Peak had already destroyed about eighty percent of his body, and all it'd take for him to ruin the rest of it was probably one more complete loss of control of his emotions.
He wasn't precious about it. His body wasn't made for his quirk. Yet another thing that was his dear parent's fault.
...Until he met little Y/N.
She relied on him. She needed him. She saw him.
She gave him a reason to try and act less recklessly. She gave him a reason to live, to keep fighting even if it hurt.

She could become what he could have been, had the right person come along and helped.

"You're in here." She says, poking him roughly in the head.

She was copying what he'd said to her earlier. Annoyingly cute, even if she was a bit clumsy and rough with the touch.
He waves his hand at her with a half-hearted frown.

"Buzz off kid. Ya know I don't like ya this close when I'm smokin'."

"You look sad." She says, sounding sad herself.

Touya feels that horrible tugging in his chest that always came whenever she was distressed.
It was almost like she was his kid. He'd always overhear parents saying how their stomachs lurch when they hear their child cry, and he had that exact same reaction whenever she was even remotely unsettled.
Must have got that one from his mom, cause god knows his old man didn't give a damn if his kids were crying.

"You're fussin' again." He says dismissively, flicking his cigarette and refusing to meet her eyes.

If he did, he may just buckle and spill his guts here and now.

"You don't look sad often." She says simply.

If she were an adult, Touya would have acted on instinct and snapped 'yeah, no shit' or something along those lines. He couldn't exactly be very expressive with his skin stapled so tight on his face. One too-big smile and that'd be several staples having to be replaced, and a child being even more traumatised from seeing the muscle that'd peek through the second his scarring would come loose.
He couldn't even cry anymore, just bleed.
He doesn't really know what to say to her comment, so he continues smoking, waving her away again.