Protected

"Star. Can I talk to you?" A raspy voice asks from the doorway.

You were trying to help the others with cleaning the mansion you all were staying in so that you could go back to drawing in your room. It was getting less and less dusty the more time went on.
Dabi has been being avoidant of you ever since he got hurt while he went shopping with Toga that one time, keeping himself busy with work while you were left at home with Tomura to do lessons with him or by watching things on a laptop.
You had been trying to keep yourself busy so you couldn't think about it too much. You missed him, but Tomura said he was busy, and just because he wasn't with you twenty four seven like he used to be didn't mean that he didn't want you around anymore.

You stop balancing on your tiptoes as you dust some of the furniture to peer over your shoulder at Tomura who was waiting in the doorway, leaning against the doorframe slightly with only one crutch holding him upright.

"Am I in trouble?" You ask, always expecting the worst.

"No. But I need to ask you something." Tomura replies, motioning lazily with his hand for you to join him. "Come on."

You hum a vague response, putting the duster on the floor gently and approach him, allowing him to brush his knuckles over the skin of your cheek before obediently following him to the room he'd been sleeping in.
He settles down on a couch, patting the seat beside him.
You follow suit, curling your knees up to your chest and facing him with your back against the arm of the couch.

"You know when you told me about Daiki a little while ago?" Tomura asks.

"Oh... Yeah?" You ask, looking away and feeling uncomfortable already.

"Do you remember if he had a quirk? Or a job, maybe?" Tomura asks, tapping his fingers lazily on the arm of the couch.

You roll your head to the side as you think, trying to recall if he had a quirk that he'd shown either you or your mom at any point.
Unfortunately your memory of that time isn't the best, and you don't really remember much of your interactions with him besides him trying to touch you while you slept and all the times he argued with you and mom. You remembered all the bad stuff very well, but nothing beyond that.

It's frustrating, because you like to try and help Tomura whenever he comes to you with questions. It's nice to feel useful.

"I don't remember his quirk... Sorry." You mumble, picking at your clothes.

"Do you remember if he worked? Did he have a job?" He asks patiently regardless of the fact you hadn't answered the other question.

"He worked at night like Dabi used to." You say confidently. "Mom and him argued a lot about their jobs."

"They did?" Tomura frowns slightly. "Do you remember what they argued about specifically?"

"Um, they argued a lot..." You admit shyly. "But he used to yell at mom a lot for working on the streets and she used to yell at him for not giving her what she wanted but she knew he had it so she had to work on the streets."

Tomura looks at you with an intensity in those crimson eyes that you hadn't been on the receiving end of for a while. You almost wonder if you said something bad and that's why he looked like that.

"I don't know what mom did for a job on the street but it made him mad, so I don't think they worked together." You continue, trying to give him as much information as possible in a bid to get him to stop staring at you. "Sometimes things would go missing in the house so maybe she sold our things like old people do on their blankets in the street sometimes."

"Maybe." Tomura says, nodding his head. "I think that helps a little. Thank you."

He scruffs your hair up clumsily, and you relax, knowing it's his unpracticed way of showing affection.