Chapter 40

"Sissy... I'm scared..."

A pair of warm arms enveloped the fragile h/c haired girl as gentle hands wiped away some stray tears from her cheeks.

"Don't be scared y/n... everything's okay... I'll protect you..."

The girl sniffled as she looked at her older sister, her face barely visible in the candlelight beside the cell they were in, the heavy smell of iron surrounding them.

"Promise?..."

"I promise y/n. I will always be there. I will always be by your side no matter what."

Her sister gave her a warm smile. The girl's e/c eyes widened, glimmering with hope and happiness as she smiled back, hooking their pinkies together.

"Together forever!"

{<<<|>>>}

A single tear rolled down the woman's cheek as her eyes were glazed over with emotion. She raised a trembling hand to touch her cheek, feeling the wetness. She looked down at her hand, more specifically her pinkie, before a flurry of anger burned inside her.

She clenched her fist and gritted her teeth as she looked at Megumi, her pupils turning into slits as waves of cursed energy flowed from her, making everyone in her vicinity stumble back slightly at the sudden pressure.

"How dare... how dare you speak of her... you fool... was dying once not enough? Should I have prolonged your pain?!"

Megumi stood his ground with Yuuji beside him, their eyes focused on her, ignoring the growing feeling of fear in the pits of their stomachs.

"Would your sister... really want you to do this?..."

A low growl emitted from the woman as her jaw clenched, black veins slowly spreading across her neck to her face.

"Would she have wanted you to be a murderer?! Killing people with no remorse?!"

A series of heavy breaths were heard as the woman's whole body tensed, a dark aura surrounding her as a shadow covered her face.

"Do you think she's proud of you?!"

"SILENCE."

A deep, loud rumble shook the ground, making their eyes widen as Yuuji looked at the ground before taking a step towards her with soft eyes.

"Y/n sensei, please... you can still change this... you can still change your fate..."

Cracks began to appear on the ground, breaking apart and causing a mild earthquake-like feeling as no answer was received from the woman, only the sound of her heavy breaths was heard.

A mouth appeared on Yuuji's cheek and spoke.

"Where is the woman... who hugged me when I was a child?"

The rumbling came to a stop.

"Where is the woman who defended me from her own servants?"

The slight sound of teeth gritting was heard.

"Where is the woman... that her sister would be proud of?"

A sudden pressure came crashing down on the two, making them grunt at the sudden pain as black tentacles emerged from the cracks in the ground, the sky turning a dull grey as thunder echoed in the distance.

"Don't speak to me... AS IF YOU KNOW ME, YOU FOOL."

Her head shot up, blazing e/c eyes glowing, overflowing with a mix of emotions that had not been felt in centuries.

"I AM NOT SOMEONE YOU WILL SPEAK TO AS IF YOU KNOW WHO I AM. I AM FAR BEYOND YOUR GREATEST IMAGINATIONS. I AM FAR BEYOND YOUR EXPECTATIONS. YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO FILL MY HEAD WITH YOUR NONSENSE."

"Where is the woman... I fell in love with?..."