Chapter 37 - Imperial Delusions

"P-Please calm down, Your Imperial Highness!"

"Why!? Why did it have to be you!?" Gwenhwyfar's crying only intensified at the sound of Viviane's voice.

The two ladies and their knights had been quickly escorted to the infirmary after the match. Although they were both uninjured, the same certainly couldn't be said for their knights. Medrauta had sustained hefty injuries to her abdominal area whereas Galahad was pretty much hurt everywhere.

Because of that, Viviane and the princess had been brought to the infirmary's seating area to wait on their knights, though it was clear that they were about to be ejected from the room thanks to the sheer volume of the princess' tantrum.

...Did she always act like such a spoiled child? Viviane thought as she bit her lip, unsure what to say to the still-crying woman seated next to her. Even so, she couldn't help but be impressed by the princess' endless torrent of tears that hadn't stopped ever since the match ended.

One of the curtains from across the seating area rustled and a nurse stepped out. Although she wore a friendly smile on her face, the cold rage that radiated off her body was almost palpable. She strode straight up to Viviane and Gwenhwyfar, offering a handkerchief to the princess in a roundabout way of getting her attention.

"Excuse me, Your Imperial Highness. The knight-hospitaliers have humbly requested that you express your grief in a more silent manner for the sake of preserving their focus while treating patients. If this is not possible, we must ask you to leave."

The princess sniffled, and for a moment, it seemed as if she would actually obey. Except the sound of her wailing only elevated into new heights a second later. "I am the imperial princess! I may mourn whereve—"

Viviane rapidly clamped a hand against the princess' mouth, silencing her while giving the nurse the most presentable smile she could muster in such a situation. Honestly, she wasn't sure what gave her the confidence to suddenly lay a hand on a member of the imperial family, but it was too late to back out now.

"O-Our deepest apologies, miss! We shall disturb the medical staff no further!" Viviane said as the princess struggled in her grasp. Despite Gwenhwyfar's best attempts at prying Viviane's hand free, she was no match for the newfound strength that Viviane had gained over the past two weeks.

The nurse raised an eyebrow. She certainly hadn't expected such a development, but it was welcome nevertheless. With a curt nod, the nurse spun away and returned to her station.

"M-Mnnff! U-Unhand me, you brute!" Gwenhwyfar managed to say as Viviane loosened her grip after breathing a sigh of relief.

"M-My apologies, Your Imperial Highness! You were really quite l-loud and I... Well..." Viviane trailed off, not knowing what sort of excuse would actually get her out of laying a hand on the princess.

"Hmph! Not even my father would dare silence me in such an uncouth fashion! Be thankful that I shall choose to overlook your grave misconduct!" Gwenhwyfar crossed her arms, turning her head away. Normally, it would have been a gesture that gave her an air of arrogance and indifference, but in her current snot-faced state, it was just silly.

Even so, Viviane gratefully obliged. "Y-Yes, of course, Your Imperial Highness! I, um, thank you for your mercy!"

The princess sniffed and raised her head high. "Of course, of course. But there is no need to flatter me with pretty words! After all, who else is more familiar with the boundless sea of magnanimity that lies in my golden heart than I?"

...What is she even talking about? Viviane laughed nervously. "Um, yes. Of course."

The princess kept her gaze elsewhere, and with the conversation at a halt, the two sat in silence. Despite Gwenhwyfar's words, Viviane was still quite worried about the whole situation. She'd challenged the princess out of the blue and made her cry as a result of that challenge, and just now, she'd laid a hand on a member of the imperial family.