Chapter 162 - Secrets

Medrauta and Viviane's return to the main force had been swift. Although they would've liked to enjoy their time alone for just a little longer, the situation had changed drastically once the enemy forces came into sight. A mass of witchspawn was present as expected, but there was something far more concerning mixed into their midst.

"It seems that our arrival was rather auspicious then," Scarlet remarked after Viviane and Medrauta concluded their report."We'll send a group of four scouts to monitor their advance. We should meet them by evening."

Medrauta nodded in satisfaction. Although she wasn't keen on throwing herself back into battle so soon, knowing that she would need to fight the witchspawn only briefly for the first day was refreshing. "At the speed I saw 'em moving, I reckon it'll be two hours before sundown at most by the time we clash."

"Maybe a little less if we slow down our own advance," Viviane said. "There's a large forest up ahead. We won't be able to take advantage of our cavalry there, but it'll give us a good place to fall back to if we meet the witchspawn just outside the treeline."

Scarlet nodded approvingly. "We shall hold them there, then." She looked to her side, her gaze commanding Captain Vale's attention even before she spoke. "Captain Vale. Signal the men. Our march begins anew."

The captain quickly saluted before rushing off to rouse the resting men. As Medrauta watched the armored back of Captain Vale disappear behind the hastily set-up tents, a thought that had gone previously unnoticed to her now surfaced in her mind. She turned to Scarlet, scrutinizing the woman carefully.

"Yes?" Scarlet met Medrauta's eyes as the knight's gaze fell upon her, speaking first and seizing the initiative of the conversation as she sensed an imminent interrogation.

"I know I asked before, but I really am curious, Lady Scarlet." Medrauta began, pressing on despite the noblewoman's guarded expression. "Just how do you plan on dealing with the witchspawns' regeneration? I'm not even sure how Viviane and I do it, but apparently you and Lady Rosaline both have it figured out and so does Lady Estelle and Rosette."

"...I'm afraid I don't see what your point is, Dame Medrauta."

"I'm saying that it's pretty weird for you to hide information like that. If you've found a way to deal with their regeneration, shouldn't you be sharing it with the troops?" Medrauta asked with a frown. Due to the nature of their enemies, all the soldiers had abandoned their usual gear, wielding bear spears and large shields instead. Heavy, durable, and equipped with a thick crosspiece under the head, they were the perfect tool for holding back the nigh-unending tide of witchspawn.

Unfortunately, such tactics would only allow the soldiers to delay the advance of the monsters while they waited for Medrauta and Viviane to slay them. If Scarlet truly had a method of dealing with the witchspawn, Medrauta could only wonder why exactly she was holding back such vital information.

Scarlet's rosy lips formed a perfect line, her expression of displeasure still managing to look attractive somehow. Medrauta frowned, her eyes narrowing at the noblewoman's silence. She was clearly hiding something, and the knight was prepared to uncover those secrets at any cost.

"Lady Scarlet, you should know I'm not asking for myself. This is something that can be used to save countless lives in the coming battle." Medrauta crossed her arms.

"I must agree with my knight here, Lady Scarlet." Viviane added. "I refrained from asking out of respect, but the situation has changed. I do not think Medrauta and I will be able to manage both the safety of the troops and the behemoth we saw, and I doubt you and Dame Eris can fight off all the witchspawn by yourselves. The time for secrets has passed, Lady Scarlet."