Chapter 52 - Brewing Courage

"Ugh, I really don't think we're gonna be done with this by tomorrow, Sakura."

"Really? You only have three walls to finish setting up," Sakura replied as she inspected Medrauta's handiwork. For someone who wasn't exactly experienced in construction, the silver-haired knight had actually done a pretty decent job.

Due to their circumstances, the group had managed to get permission from the instructors to begin setting up their booth ahead of time. Usually, the booths were a predetermined size and style that groups simply decorated after being assigned their spot in the festival. However, Sakura had come up with an idea that required them to remodel the entirety of the booth in order to produce an accurate and immersive atmosphere.

"Three walls, the roofing panels, and the doors. I still don't get how these things are supposed to work. They slide into... What? The walls?" Medrauta asked, looking at the diagram that Sakura had provided her.

Sakura nodded. "Yes. That is the standard design for a tea house. The sliding doors allow for ease of transition between partitions in the structure. Since the booth is quite small, we will only have two partitions, one being the ceremony room and the other being the waiting room."

Medrauta nodded, scratching her head. It wasn't too difficult of a concept for her to wrap her head around, but it all just seemed so incredibly detailed just for a cup of tea.

"The tea ceremony is an art that has been refined in Higashi for millennia. It is an integral part of our culture, and I wish for this experience to reflect that," Sakura explained as she noticed Medrauta's confusion about the complexity of the structure.

"Well, I'm lookin' forward to having a cup myself. The way you're talking makes it sound like it's gonna be the best damn cup of tea I've ever had," Medrauta grinned.

While tea was a relatively popular drink in the empire, there was never really any special significance or ritual ascribed to its consumption unlike the tea ceremony that Sakura had introduced to them. In fact, much of the empire's beverage refinement went to alcoholic drinks and kafe, a particularly bitter dark-colored drink that originated from Kharadshah.

With her questions answered for now, Medrauta went back to work on the booth. She'd managed to finish the flooring and one of the walls already, but the sun's position in the sky was slowly waning.

The booth was located in the heart of the campus grounds where the festival would be held, and a quick glance to the sky told Medrauta that there were only around six or so hours left of daylight.

As Medrauta went back to hammering away, Sakura waved to the group that had just come out of a nearby building.

"Riku! I trust everything went well? Does anyone need any special coaching?" Sakura asked with a wink. For some reason, Rosaline and Leticia both winked back.

Riku raised an eyebrow and nodded, understanding the ladies' intent. "Yes. Although it started slowly, most of them learned the procedure fairly quickly. However, there was a slight hiccup with Lady Viviane's brewing technique."

"E-Eh!? Me!?" Viviane exclaimed in shock. "B-But you never said anything to me!"

"I had forgotten to mention it in the heat of the moment. Forgive me, Lady Viviane."

"Hm... That's a shame," Sakura remarked with a rather innocent tone.

"...Indeed. However, Dame Leticia and Lady Rosaline were simply exemplary. Perhaps it might do Lady Viviane some good if she were to receive additional instruction. Alas, I really must be getting back to my business."

"Of course," A mischievous grin danced on Sakura's lips as she failed to suppress it. "As it so happens, I am quite free at the moment. Perhaps Lady Rosaline and I can tutor Lady Viviane while Dame Leticia aids in completing the booth's construction?"