Chapter 104 - Escape

The sea of soldiers parted before Medrauta's blade.

There was no other possible outcome before the gleaming silver that danced in her hands, glittering in the light of the setting sun. Though a few vengeful men rushed forward to bar her way, a single swing of her blade was enough to send them flying.

Like a silver specter flitting across the battlefield, Medrauta leapt atop her steed the moment she freed herself from the sea of soldiers, urging the horse toward the direction that the carriage had been heading. Though the horizon had long swallowed the fleeing vehicle, she was sure that she'd catch up to them soon.

Digging her heels into her horse's flanks, Medrauta caused her mount to accelerate rapidly. She cast a quick glance behind her as she sped off into the distance, relieved to see that few of the soldiers had chased after her. Thankfully, the majority of the men who had been watching her match with Michael remained behind to transport their wounded and unconscious commander back to Helfried.

Though Medrauta was no expert rider, she was a consummate one and her skills far exceeded those of common duchy soldiers. However, the same could not be said for her horse. Trained merely for pulling carriages and light riding, Medrauta's steed was by no means a warhorse unlike the stallion that Michael had ridden upon or even the thoroughbreds that the soldiers rode.

One of the braver and more foolish soldiers that pursued Medrauta following her victory now drew parallel with her. He aimed his sword at her neck, the curved cavalry sword describing an arc that would have decapitated Medrauta had she not parried it with ease.

With a flick of her wrist, Medrauta dispatched the man. Though a few more soldiers continued their pursuit, Medrauta finished them off with the same casual impunity, deflecting their attacks with ease before slamming the flat of her blade into their helmets and unseating them. While the blow was by no means lethal, it would no doubt leave the men suitably concussed and unfit to fight.

The soldiers belonged to a duchy of the empire and there was no need to kill them when they were merely following orders. Normally, she wouldn't have placed that much concern for men who were clearly endangering both herself and her lady, but Medrauta had noticed how much care Viviane had taken earlier despite being forced to shoot from an uncomfortable position.

Though all of Viviane's shots had unseated their marks, each arrow had been carefully placed to ensure a non-lethal yet still-serious injury that would take the target out of the fight. Medrauta simply thought it would be a shame to let her lady's goodwill and effort go to waste.

Without soldiers harrying her pursuit of the carriage, Medrauta's advance progressed rapidly. Her horse's neck was slick with sweat as it was pushed beyond its usual demands, but the silver-haired knight had at last laid eyes on a sight that soothed her heart tremendously.

Though she hadn't yet caught up with the still-fleeing carriage, she could see its rear in the distance. She neared the stragglers of the remaining cavalry units that still continued to pursue the vehicle, taking note of the more distant riders that slowly closed in on the carriage.

With only one horse pulling the vehicle, it moved at a frighteningly slow crawl, and the fact that it was still managing to elude the soldiers that were relentlessly chasing it only served as a testament to Riku and Viviane's skill. A part of Medrauta felt disappointed at the fact that Viviane no longer constantly needed her protection, but that feeling was almost immediately replaced by a sense of pride.

Mere months ago, Viviane had been a nervous wreck who could barely stop stuttering, yet now she was an archer with such skill that it put even knights to shame, and that included Medrauta herself. While all knights were expected to possess some degree of skill in all types of weaponry, Medrauta didn't exactly excel at archery.