Chapter 66 - Crest Metamorphosis

"I must first apologize for calling the two of you here so soon after you've both suffered through such harrowing events."

"Well, you did it anyway, Dame Eirlys, so it's best to get it over with." Medrauta shrugged.

Eirlys nodded, conceding the point. She sat in one of the few intact chairs they'd managed to find inside the main building and several bricks had been stacked around them in an effort to create the makeshift room that they now occupied.

Viviane had been provided with a chair as well, and though she sat, Medrauta stood. The silver-haired knight's hand rested against the pommel of her sword, her eyes flitting around almost nervously.

"You can relax, Medrauta. The other knight-instructors are patrolling the academy's perimeter."

"Yeah, just like they were during Amelia's attack," Medrauta remarked. Her verbal jab had thrust at a sore point which caused Eirlys to click her tongue in annoyance.

"...Yes, I'll admit that none of us expected an attack to come from the inside. We certainly need more guards, and we'll be addressing that issue moving forward. However, there is something far more pressing that we must discuss at the moment."

It had only been a few hours since Trista's funeral concluded. Though the fire that the students had lit together and the hope that it inspired was still fresh in their minds, the atmosphere surrounding the academy was still quite heavy.

Medrauta nodded in response to Eirlys' latest statement. She had an inkling of what the senior knight wanted to discuss, but she would let Eirlys explain for herself.

"I'm sure you're already aware of it, but Lady Viviane's particular circumstance is largely unheard of. Lady Viviane, you know what I'm talking about, correct?"

Viviane nodded nervously, her shoulders trembling slightly as she met the senior knight's gaze. Though there was no hostility in Eirlys' eyes, she couldn't help but be intimidated by the senior knight's sheer presence.

Noticing this, Medrauta laid a hand on Viviane's shoulder, sharing her strength with her lady. The two exchanged a glance before Viviane's gaze flickered back to Eirlys'.

"This is about what happened with my Crest, yes?"

Eirlys nodded. "Indeed. Do you know what the phenomenon is called?"

"Crest Metamorphosis, right? I read a little about it in the archives when I was researching methods to resonate properly with Medrauta. Even though I seem to be able to do it at will now, I'm still not really sure why or how..."

"That makes two of us," Eirlys grinned. "Medrauta's strange resonance issues aside, we're here to address the matter of your Crest's transformation. I'm not exactly very informed about this phenomenon myself, so I hope you don't mind if I bring an expert in."

"Of course not, Dame Eirlys."

"Excellent." Eirlys turned to the makeshift door to her left. "Lady Rose, please enter."

A small girl walked into the room as a guard opened the door for her, clutching a thick tome to her chest. She wore a flowing dark blue dress that complemented her youthful features quite well.

"...I still can't get over the fact that she's actually the librarian," Medrauta murmured.

"W-What did you say!?" Rose exclaimed angrily, glaring at the knight who towered above her.

"Medrauta!" Viviane chided. "Apologize!"

"...I'm sorry," Medrauta lowered her head. "I didn't think you would hear."