Chapter 72 - One Hand Empty

Medrauta was on the verge of losing.

For the first time since she'd arrived at Avalyne Academy, it appeared as though the silver-haired knight would finally suffer her first loss in a duel.

Leticia pressed the attack relentlessly, raining blow after blow on her opponent with such ferocity that sparks flew from their blades whenever they met. While her rapid assault was gradually beginning to tire her against the slowly-breaking wall of Medrauta's ironclad defense, it was clear that she would be the victor in this battle of attrition.

Uninjured, Leticia was hampered by nothing more than her stamina while Medrauta had to contend with the still-bleeding wound that she had suffered earlier in the duel.

I can do this...! I can win! Leticia thought as she continued to press the attack, her strikes crashing down with even more force as she burned through the energy that surged from the depths of her body. The light in Medrauta's eyes seemed to dim as her attacks smashed against Medrauta's hasty parries, the silver-haired knight's seemingly exhausted countenance encouraging Leticia's aggression even more.

Contrary to what Leticia believed though, Medrauta's attention waned not from fatigue, but from contemplation. Despite Leticia's endless stream of attacks that assailed her from every angle, Medrauta simply couldn't concentrate on the fight. Instead, she allowed her muscle memory and combat experience to automatically take over her body while she mulled over the question that continued to echo in her head.

What the hell kind of question was that, Leticia? I mean... I'm Medrauta, aren't I? Medrauta's brow only creased further as she tried to understand the true meaning behind Leticia's words. It's not as if I'd suddenly become a different person. I'm just the same person I've always—

The sound of colliding steel rang in Medrauta's ears as her eyes widened, staring at the black-haired knight that had been so desperately trying to break through her defense. Medrauta had not yet launched a single counterattack as her body absentmindedly focused solely on defense, yet Leticia's breaths now came heavy and ragged.

Perspiration dripped from Leticia's body and pooled beneath her feet. She stared at Medrauta in utter confusion. Her sword felt heavy in her hands, and her entire body ached from the effort of mounting such an incessant attack, but unlike before, her blade hadn't reached Medrauta even once.

W-What the hell...? I was winning! I was clearly winning! Leticia grit her teeth as she retreated. Though she leapt away with great alacrity for fear of Medrauta taking advantage of Leticia's exhaustion and launching a counterattack, the silver-haired knight didn't follow.

Medrauta simply stood in place. Though her eyes were pointed in Leticia's direction, it didn't seem like she was really looking at her opponent at all. Instead, her normally bright blue eyes seemed dull and hazy as if she were staring through Leticia and gazing at something that no one else could see.

"...You can't hit me, Leticia."

"W-What...!?"

"...That's right. Since when could your blade touch me...?" Medrauta murmured, her gaze still piercing through Leticia. Despite the words she spoke, there was no arrogance in her tone. Just pure contemplation.

"W-What the hell do you mean by that, Medrauta...? Are you looking down on me!?"

Medrauta paid Leticia's question no heed. "...Who am I, huh? The answer should be easy, and yet..." Her voice trailed off as she touched a hand to the wound in her side. The wound stung as the cold steel of Medrauta's gauntlets brushed against its edges, smearing the metal with blood.

Earlier, Leticia's blade had pierced her so easily, but now Medrauta was wondering why she had come out unscathed from that nonstop flurry of attacks despite having been so distracted.