Chapter 57 - Everything

"You know, it's okay for you to call me 'Vivi' more often now that we're a couple..."

Medrauta shrugged and regarded her lady with a curious gaze. The two of them were sitting on a bench with some ice cream, taking a short break after having just participated in the festival's paired horse racing challenge. Since Viviane wasn't exactly a skilled rider, it had been quite a challenge for the noblewoman.

"That might be true, but it's cuter when used sparingly, isn't it?"

"Eh? What do you mean?"

"Hm... Something like the feeling of battle, I suppose? When you're thrown into your first duel, it's exhilarating, but after your fourth or even your third duel, things start to feel kind of normal. You're not breathing as hard, your heart isn't racing, and your mind's not cluttered anymore. I don't want that to happen with us."

Viviane tilted her head to the side, not entirely understanding Medrauta's analogy.

Seeing this, Medrauta laughed. She hadn't expected her explanation to be of any significant help in the first place. Instead, she changed her approach and scooched closer to Viviane on the bench. They had already been sitting next to each other, but now Medrauta's body pressed up against Viviane's in more ways than one.

"W-W-What are you doing!?" Viviane's eyes spun as Medrauta reached up, cupping the noblewoman's chin with a hand. The knight's other arm wrapped around her lady, holding Viviane tight and erasing any hope of escape that she might've had.

"You've left some ice cream on your cheek, Vivi." Medrauta said in a low, sultry voice as she brushed her thumb against Viviane's cheek, removing the small trace of ice cream that blemished her otherwise flawless face.

Medrauta then brought her ice-cream-laden thumb to her own mouth and licked it off. "Delicious," she said with a smirk.

"Y-You...! W-Why did you d-do it like that!? And in front of so many people too!" Viviane buried her face in her hands as Medrauta looked around.

Sure enough, a ring of amused spectators had gathered around the bench to watch their antics play out. While most had attempted to remain inconspicuous by pretending to be absorbed in their own conversations while casting intermittent glances at the pair, others were simply blatantly staring.

Despite Viviane's embarrassment, Medrauta merely smiled at the onlookers. She stood from the bench and extended a hand toward her lady. "Do you get it now, Viviane? I want your heart to be aflutter every time I say it, and I want the world to know the depths of my love for you."

"...T-That's so mean, Medrauta." Viviane pouted, but she took her knight's hand anyway and stood. "It's not like my heart wouldn't race whenever you were near, though..."

"Good, 'cause I'd be sad if our heartbeats weren't in tune," Medrauta grinned. Despite the easygoing front that she wore, her heart really was pounding.

Something about finally being a couple with Viviane in the official sense just made it more than difficult to focus. In fact, even pulling off the move she'd done a moment ago had been a hurdle that required all the courage she had.

Hearing those words and seeing Medrauta's smile had been too much for Viviane. She hid her face by pressing it against her knight's arm as they walked, looking for their next stop. "So... Where are we headed next?"

Medrauta pursed her lips in thought. Viviane had picked previously, and the paired horse race had been a rather uncharacteristic selection for the noblewoman. Medrauta had brought the fact up with her, but Viviane insisted, leaving Medrauta no choice but to run the event with her.