Chapter 45 - Prophecy

"With all due respect, I don't think you understand what you're asking."

Riku shook his head. "Dame Medrauta, please! You are the only one we can turn to right now."

Medrauta, Riku, and Sakura were standing on a balcony. Below them were the academy gardens, rife with a plethora of exotic flowers that were lit by the moonlight and behind them was a set of intricately carved wooden doors that doubled as frames for the inset windows that allowed the warm light of the ballroom to leak through.

The discussion had only elapsed for a little under a minute, but it was already going badly for the foreigners.

"Did you maybe miss the part where I told you about how the Round Table tried to expel me last month? Believe me, I'm the last person you wanna ask for this," Medrauta sighed. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be heading back to my lady."

"Dame Medrauta, I beseech you to reconsider!"

"There is nothing to 'reconsider' because there is nothing I can do in the first place. Besides, if meeting with the Round Table is what you want, why don't you ask Amelia? As the top ranking knight in the academy, she's got free access to the Chamber of Court."

"We cannot find Dame Amelia, nor can we ask her. She—"

Sakura interrupted her knight, shushing him with a gesture. "Enough, Riku. I told you she wasn't a fool. Dame Medrauta, the truth is, it is not the Round Table that we desire an audience with. Rather, we wish to meet with Lady Merlynne herself."

Medrauta raised an eyebrow, adopting an unconcerned expression. "So? I don't see how that changes things. In fact, it'd be even harder for me to secure a meeting with her since she's the head of the Round Table itself. If it's Lady Merlynne you wish to speak with, your best bet is the princess."

"You're right. At least, you would be," Sakura replied with a shake of her head. She stepped closer to Medrauta, lowering her voice. "You aren't fooling anyone with that feigned impassivity of yours."

"What are you trying to say?" Medrauta narrowed her eyes.

"It'd be foolish to ask a knight for an audience with Lady Merlynne. Even the so-called 'strongest knight.' But you're not just any knight, are you, Medrauta? You're Lady Merlynne's adopted daughter."

It was as if time had stopped.

The moment those words fell from Sakura's lips, an enormous killing intent burst forth from Medrauta, freezing everyone in place. Her hand shot out in an instant, grabbing Sakura by the neck and pinning her where she stood.

With supreme effort, Riku managed to break free from the oppressive pressure that emanated from Medrauta. He charged toward the silver-haired knight in a bid to protect his lady, but Medrauta didn't even spare him a glance. In a blur of movement, he was swatted away and sent crashing against the balustrades.

"Who told you that?" Medrauta glared at Sakura. It wasn't a question. It was a demand.

Sakura remained silent.

In response, Medrauta tightened her grip. "Well?"

Sakura winced in pain, but her lips still remained firmly shut.

For a second, the two stood at an impasse, but Medrauta's gaze soon wandered to the side as she experienced a moment of realization. "It looks like I'm asking the wrong person. Sir Riku, Lady Sakura's life is in your hands now. You have five seconds to answer my question before I crush her neck."

Riku winced as he stood up. Medrauta had driven her fingers expertly into his sternum during their brief scuffle earlier, and his entire chest throbbed with pain. "...You wouldn't dare... You'd start a war..."