Chapter 90 - Lady Castellia

"Krista!? What the hell are you doing here!?"

Inwardly, a pang of pain shot through Medrauta's heart as she automatically realized how similar the knight's name was to another's who had only just recently passed. Quickly, she shook the feeling off.

"Take another step and I'll put an arrow through your head, just like I did to that other noble. You might be tempted to think I'll miss in the dark. I won't." Krista declared flatly as she watched the sole standing noble attempt to retreat into the foliage behind. Only after confirming the noble and formerly hostile knights were pacified did she turn her attention to Medrauta.

"You're getting sloppy, Medrauta. You used to never turn your back to your enemies." Krista remarked as she stepped toward the silver-haired knight.

"Yeah, well... I guess I let my worries get the better of me."

Krista nodded. "It happens sometimes. Just don't let it happen too much," she grinned. "So... What are these assholes doing here?"

"Ah..." Medrauta paused, her eyes switching between Krista and Trianna. She sighed before letting the point of her sword fully drop to the ground, launching into a brief explanation of the situation for Krista's benefit.

"...I see. Well, that's certainly a dilemma." Krista frowned, turning a sharp gaze to their surrendered foes. "I'd advise executing them on the spot. There's no need for us to spare traitors."

"But—!"

"Medrauta." Krista's voice rang with authority. Although she knew that the silver-haired knight was by far the better duelist between them, she was still Medrauta's senior. "They were not coerced into entering this pact. They knew full well what the consequences would be and yet they still chose to take the plunge."

"I..." Medrauta dropped her gaze, gritting her teeth. It was obvious that she was torn between heeding her senior's advice and sparing the knights who she knew would not only be useful to the country in the very near future, but who were also once her classmates.

Classmates who had once strived to become great knights just as she herself did. Classmates who had dedicated their body and soul to martial excellence, swearing their loyalty to their nobles and the crown. Classmates who had passed each day with worry-free smiles on their faces.

...Krista is right. They're willful traitors and even forged pacts with Amelia after what she did to our peaceful lives... But even so... Medrauta's hands clenched tightly into fists. She didn't understand why she was feeling like this at all. Mere moments ago, she had slain Duncan with ease despite having been classmates with him. Killing Trianna, the other knight, and the remaining noble should've been easy.

No. With Duncan, I was executing an unrepentant traitor who could no longer be saved. But Trianna and the others... They've only recently sworn their pact, and just a second ago, Trianna was planning on renouncing it too... Medrauta looked up at Krista intending to protest. The older knight met her eyes with an unwavering gaze, an eyebrow raised as she saw the reluctance in Medrauta's eyes.

"...No need to worry. I'll do it for you if you can't," Krista said, nocking an arrow to her bow.

Medrauta's eyes immediately fell to the ground again, stepping back and leaving Krista to her work. What else can I do...? Attack Krista? She's... in the right.

"...Who the hell do you think you are?" Viviane spoke in a low tone, but her voice carried easily nonetheless.

She'd stayed silent as she observed the knights conversing. Since Krista had arrived with the intent to aid them and her tone with Medrauta had been friendly at first, she assumed that the two knights would work things out between them.