Chapter 131 - Liminal Space

"Ugh..."

Viviane's eyes flew open as she regained consciousness, pushing herself up as quickly as she could. The noblewoman had expected to hear sounds of combat and clashing steel. Perhaps even explosions from Bastiche's deadly bolts. Instead, all she received was silence. The lack of sound and hurry was welcome, but it was also worrying.

Everywhere around her, all she could see was white. The ground, the sky, an endless void of white stretched as far as she could see. Though the surface that she stood on was solid, it also felt insubstantial and... wet. Taking an experimental step, Viviane found that she could traverse the strange substance as easily as she could solid ground. Interestingly enough, each step she took sent ripples across the pure white surface as if it really were water, causing Viviane to proceed gently and cautiously despite knowing it was safe.

Although the alabaster void was an appreciated reprieve from the adrenaline-fueled battle she had been a part of mere moments ago, Viviane couldn't help but wish she would soon be able to depart from this world or dream, whatever it was. Casting her gaze around almost desperately in an attempt to find some sort of exit, Viviane's plain white gown whirled with her movement.

Wait... Viviane looked down at her body, staring at her garments in disbelief. Although she should have noticed it far sooner, it was only now that she realized she was barefoot and clad in nothing more than a thin sleeveless gown dyed in the same color as the world around her.

"...Just where am I?" Viviane murmured. She was half sure this was something akin to a dream and that she had fallen unconscious as a result of the impact that sent her flying, but everything felt so vivid. The wetness of the "ground", the sensation of flowing liquid between her toes, and the pleasantly cold solid surface beneath her that contrasted its strange fluid-like properties.

"You have found yourself in the Lake."

Viviane released a yelp of surprise as the voice echoed from all directions around her. Its tone was smooth and gentle, but that did little to soften the jolt that she experienced at the abrupt answer to her question. After all, the seemingly empty white expanse of this mysterious space had caused the noblewoman to believe that she was well and truly alone.

"W-Who's there!?" Viviane shouted, spinning around rapidly in an attempt to discern the source of the mystery speaker to no avail. "C-Come out! I'm not afraid of you!"

Despite her best efforts to sound brave, Viviane was woefully unprepared for a confrontation if the mysterious voice was actually hostile. She was unarmed and without a bow or a dagger. Worse yet, she couldn't even sense her own ki circulation, much less use it to enhance her physical abilities.

"I am here." The voice replied. "You need only reach out and you shall find me."

"Reach out...?" Viviane frowned, extending a hand forward. It grasped nothing but empty air. "Reach out where?"

"Here."

Viviane shuddered. This time, the voice was incredibly close, and though she looked in every direction, there was nothing to be seen aside from an endless expanse of white. However, it was that very fact which made Viviane completely sure of what she needed to do now. The noblewoman knelt, her gown sending a multitude of patterns rippling across the void as it brushed against the white surface.

Even now, she could see nothing beneath her feet other than the cascading rings that seemed to pulse beneath her feet, but she was sure of it. The voice hadn't come from all directions. It came from underneath. Taking a deep breath, Viviane touched a hand to the strange solid-liquid beneath her... and thrust.

"Puha!" Viviane exclaimed as she burst out of the other side. It was the strangest sensation she had ever experienced. One second, she was moving downwards, attempting to push herself through a viscous, honey-like substance and the next she was desperately kicking as she struggled upwards. The sudden change in direction gave her a dizzying sense of vertigo, causing her to stumble slightly even as she emerged from the liquid void.