Chapter 180 - Choice

Morgana's lips moved.

The flaming drill stopped.

It was an impossibility, but still it occurred. The flawless attack that was meant to pierce through even the greatest defense had been stopped in its tracks, unable to continue its unstoppable journey of violence.

A blue light pulsed faintly around Morgana's body as she called upon the power of her Oath. It was an ancient Oath that her parents had bestowed upon her, and one she awakened after swearing her fealty to the people she strove to protect.

Clarent. It was an Oath that manifested when its name was called, and its power embodied the meaning of its name. No attack would be able to pass through its bearer, nor could they be harmed. This was Morgana's ultimate trump card and the very thing that defined her as a person, for it turned her into the ideal that she strove to become: a living shield for her people.

"Clarent." Morgana whispered again, as if affirming its power.

"W-What is this...!?" Soleil backed away frantically, unable to process the fact that her seemingly foolproof attack had somehow been stopped. "Was this your Oath all along...?"

"Come, Soleil." Morgana flourished her sword, centering its tip on Soleil's chest. "Allow me to extinguish those flames you are so proud of."

"Morgana...!" Soleil expression of shock twisted into one of frustration. "Why must you reject me at every turn!?"

Morgana dashed forward, ignoring the threat of Soleil's flames. With the power of Clarent, there was no longer any need for her to fight defensively. A master swordswoman in all aspects of the word, Clarent allowed her to fully commit herself to offense. It was rather ironic given the defensive nature of her Oath, but it was through becoming a living shield that the true extent of her blademastery could be displayed.

Soleil staggered back with the sheer speed and force of Morgana's sudden attack, each strike of the Paladin's driving her back with increasing speed. With each passing second, the threat of imminent defeat loomed ever closer for Soleil, forcing her to disengage from Morgana by parrying the Paladin's latest strike and using the force to push herself backwards in a lengthy leap.

The committal retreat wounded her pride severely, but Soleil wasn't done yet. Covered in over two dozen cuts, her lone eye that remained open burned with a fierce determination unlike any other. Far from admitting defeat despite Morgana's invulnerability, Soleil prepared the last trick up her sleeve.

"Why must I reject you, Soleil?" Morgana said, drawing her arm back to deliver a powerful thrust that would end the duel. "Because I see through you. Your ambitions. Your dreams. Even your pride. You are naught but a child flailing around with a sword far too big for your hands."

"...What?"

"Ending the Witch Queen's tyranny isn't your goal, is it?"

"W-What the hell are you talking about, Morgana!? Of course it is!" Soleil snapped.

"If that were true, then you would have stopped trying to convince me of your plan already. As much as I loathe to admit it, even the Paladins of the Chelate Order have been won over by your charisma already. They would follow you into battle without hesitation."

"...You don't know that."

"You don't need me." Morgana thrust her sword forward. "You never did."

"...What the hell do you know?" Soleil grit her teeth, closing her eyes even as the tip of Morgana's blade raced toward the center of her chest. In another second, it would pierce through her breastplate.

And so it did.

Soleil stood with her head lowered as the full length of Morgana's sword buried itself in the center of her chest. Waves of searing pain shot through her body, but even that pure agony distilled by the steel of Morgana's blade could not compare to the turmoil of emotions tormenting her heart.