Chapter 158 - Knight Errant

"I still can't believe you're actually doing this."

"I'm not gonna have another chance, Belita." Eris replied as she quickly made her way down from the bleachers. "It's her debut today, and I want to give her the flowers to make it feel a bit more special, I guess..."

Belita shook her head, the expression on her face a mixture of amazement and disbelief. Although Lady Scarlet certainly had an incredible amount of admirers, there were few as brave as Eris, and those who managed to muster enough courage to attempt courting the black-haired noblewoman were usually shot down instantly. With her debut match on the horizon, Belita certainly didn't want her friend to suffer an emotional crisis moments before needing to step into the arena.

"Maybe you should give it to her after your match," Belita suggested, walking hastily as she kept up with Eris' stride. "You'll be less distracted then, and maybe you'll even be able to come up with a more romantic confession!"

Eris' brow furrowed. "I'm not sure if you're just trying to talk me out of this or if you've actually forgotten, but my match is after Lady Scarlet's. She'll be gone by then."

"O-Oh! Right! You're right!" Belita clicked her tongue in annoyance. That particular fact had genuinely slipped her mind for a second, mostly as a result of her desire for Eris to finally show off the fruits of her labor. With all the training she put in, Eris certainly didn't deserve to mess up just because of a rejection.

Much to Belita's chagrin, she couldn't think of anything else to say as she and Eris drew closer and closer to Lady Scarlet's ready room. As a member of a ducal house, Lady Scarlet possessed her very own private room that only she and her knight could freely access, allowing them to prepare for any upcoming matches privately and without fear of sabotage.

Giving up on dissuading her friend, Belita simply crossed her arms and watched worriedly as Eris raised a tentative hand toward the door, rapping her knuckles against it twice. There was a brief pause before the door opened.

"Who are—"

"Lady Scarlet!" Eris exclaimed, pushing past the senior knight who had opened the door and entering the room. The silver-clad noblewoman was seated elegantly on a plush-lined recliner framed with silvered steel. If Lady Scarlet had been shocked by Eris' sudden appearance, her face showed no signs of it. Instead, she turned to the blonde-haired knight calmly and with a gentle smile on her face.

"Dame Eris." Lady Scarlet stood from her seat to curtsy, the practiced motion so perfect and graceful that it caused Eris' heart to skip a beat. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

Eris stopped in front of Lady Scarlet, taking in a sharp breath as she gathered her courage and produced a beautiful bouquet of flowers from her bag. She'd taken great care to ensure that the bouquet's unique heart-shaped arrangement hadn't been disturbed and that each petal still remained intact and attached to the plant itself. After a moment's hesitation, Eris presented it to Lady Scarlet with shaky hands.

"C-Congratulations on your debut, Lady Scarlet! Your match was truly stunning!" Eris declared, her voice still trembling with nervousness. Outside, Belita watched with a hand on her forehead, expecting the worst.

Lady Scarlet's hand fan snapped open, concealing the grin of amusement spreading across her lips. "Oh my. How thoughtful of you, Dame Eris. However, I must ask... Is there any significance to this bouquet's unique shape?"

"O-Oh! Well, I—"

"Lady Scarlet!" The senior knight who Eris encountered at the door had now seen fit to insert himself into the conversation, gesturing toward a closed door on the left side of the room. "This is hardly the time for entertaining guests! Sir Lucas—"