Chapter 70 - Leticia's Challenge

"Medrauta, I challenge you to a duel."

The silver-haired knight turned to Leticia in surprise as she stepped out of the room. Medrauta had been standing outside with Viviane for just a few minutes, and though Viviane clearly looked like she had something important to talk about with her knight, she had only made small talk with Medrauta.

Sensing that the time wasn't exactly right, Medrauta had decided to refrain from bringing it up before the whole situation with Leticia was fully resolved, but this particular request certainly threw a wrench in those plans.

"Why?" Medrauta asked, narrowing her eyes. Honestly, she could barely believe what she'd heard. Just minutes ago, Leticia was trapped in a semi-catatonic state of her own devising, but now she was trying to pick a fight? It didn't make any sense.

"...Before Amelia left, she showed me how to hold my sword and how to swing it. She showed me how to move and how to parry." Leticia began. "She showed me how to win, Medrauta. She was the sole reason why I even managed to emerge victorious in that gauntlet, and because of that, I thought I'd become strong."

"You're festival champion, Leticia." Medrauta frowned. "You even beat Rosette. Are you calling her weak?"

Leticia shook her head. "No. I... The strength that I possessed compared to the strength I have now is different. I was never strong, Medrauta. That whole time, the strength that I thought was mine was nothing more than borrowed. I relied on Amelia like a crutch, running to her and asking for advice every time I suffered a setback, and she would always give me the right answer."

"...I see."

"She showed me, but she never taught me, Medrauta. This body of mine has never learned a thing..." Leticia's fists clenched with such strength that her arms shook.

Medrauta pursed her lips as Leticia fell silent after speaking those bitter words. To the average person or even to a soldier, there might not have been a great difference between being shown and being taught, but for a knight, that difference decided whether you lived or died on the battlefield.

When a knight was shown something, they were given the ability to emulate it. However, when a knight was taught something, they learned not only how it was performed, but its history, details, mechanics, and inner workings.

A knight who could only copy what they were shown wielded a hollow blade devoid of true strength, and though their techniques might appear impressive, that fragile blade would shatter instantly upon meeting an opponent who displayed true understanding of their craft.

"You're the strongest person I know, Medrauta." Leticia continued. "That's why I need to cross blades with you. I need to know whether the strength I have now is enough to be worthy of Lady Rosaline, but more than that... I need to know if this strength is mine and mine alone."

Medrauta nodded, fully understanding Leticia's intent. It wasn't victory that the other knight sought, but the chance to test her resolve and her skills all for the sake of ascertaining whether she truly possessed the mettle to remain a proud knight or whether she was simply a fraud that possessed a sword with no substance.

"Then shall we settle it now?"

"We shall."

After taking a moment to change into her uniform and half-plate, Leticia and Medrauta headed out of the dormitory and to the outdoor training grounds. Viviane and Rosaline exchanged looks of concern along the way as they trailed behind the knights. The pressure in the air was heavy, and though the two noblewomen worried for the safety of their knights, they both knew that this duel was vital for Leticia's development as a knight.