Chapter 122 - Changing the Tide

Putting it lightly, the siege wasn't going to plan.

"With me!" Marilyn's roar tore through the air, its sound powerful enough to overpower the clashing of combat and strike fear into the enemies who stood before her. Had Marilyn's soldiers not been vastly outnumbered, the enemy might have broken then and there. Alas, they recovered quickly from their moment of shock and pushed once more, driving their blades against the forces of Dietrich fief.

Medrauta watched from the rear as Marilyn's men buckled from the enemy's latest push. Though they still managed to hold fast, it was apparent that it was only a matter of time before they broke and Bastiche's forces would drive a wedge into their formation. It wasn't even a difference in skill or strategy that forced them on the defensive, but rather the sheer disparity in numbers.

Emboldened by their undefeated record during their march toward Revelo Castle, the forces of Dietrich fief hadn't expected such intense resistance to confront them at their final destination. They had been on the cusp of victory, yet now the enemy's superior numbers were threatening to tear that away from their grasp.

"We're going to lose if we don't do something." Riku murmured. It was an obvious observation that everyone in the rear could see, yet none wished to comment on. Of course, everyone was hoping that the powerful knights on the front lines would be able to change the tide of battle just as they had in their previous assaults during the campaign, but the forces that Bastiche had kept in reserve were simply too much. For every ten men that Marilyn and her fellow knights slew, ten more stepped in to fill their place, and the soldiers weren't having the best time of it either.

Beset by enemies from all sides, the common troops were expending all their energy and effort merely to maintain the formation and shield wall that they had somehow managed to set up, pushing against the enemy and trying to prevent them from breaking through. As violent and brutish as the battlefield was, the whole operation was a delicate affair, and a single mistake from any unit would spell defeat, especially when they were up against such a large army.

Medrauta bit her lip as she continued observing the situation, slowly analyzing the enemy's position against their own. Had this been a mere exercise at the academy, the silver-haired knight most certainly would have turned to Eirlys or even Brigitte for advice. While Medrauta wasn't exactly terrible at tactics unlike a handful of other knights she could name, she knew that the red-haired knight was far better at the careful coordination and maneuvering of troops than she was.

But what the hell would we even do here...? Medrauta frowned. She could see no weak points in the enemy's structure, and though Marilyn's soldiers were still managing to hold the line, every push sent them reeling. Not only that, but Bastiche's troops were beginning to leverage their vastly superior numbers, seeking to encircle the forces of Dietrich fief. The only saving grace was that the castle had been built on plainsland, making the battlefield mostly consist of flat ground. Had the castle been constructed on raised terrain as per tradition, Medrauta was sure that the baron would be preparing to surrender by now.

In fact, the longer Medrauta thought about it, the more certain she was of what both Eirlys and Brigitte would've suggested in such a situation: tactical retreat. Unfortunately for them, that wouldn't be an option. While the silver-haired knight was sure they would be able to break away from the engagement and return to Dietrich fief thanks to their smaller numbers, it would only be a matter of time before Bastiche's forces marched on the fief. Under siege by such a large force, the city of Dietrich and its surrounding cities would fall like dominoes.

"It looks like the baron's plan didn't pan out at all." Krista remarked as she casually loosed six arrows before Medrauta could even blink. "To be honest, I'm as surprised as everyone else is. Who knew Revelo fief had so many soldiers in reserve?"