Chapter 41 - Promises and Jumbled Thoughts

"...And that's how she became a squire!"

Gwenhwyfar clapped her hands together delightedly. "Yet, when she was finally knighted and entered Avalyne Academy, I came to discover that she'd switched between nearly two-hundred lords! And what's more, she's paired with someone else that's not me!"

Medrauta blinked, speechless. She had been deep in thought during the princess' recounting of the tale. The carriage had been a part of her memories, and the encounter with the knights too.

How did I even forget...? Medrauta frowned. It's not as if Captain Padraig had vanished from my memories... I still remember the beatings he gave me, after all. So then why...?

Medrauta's train of thought didn't get the chance to go very far.

"What do you have to say for yourself, Medrauta!?" Gwenhwyfar demanded as she thrust an accusing finger at the silver-haired knight's face.

"I will say, Your Imperial Highness... You weave a fascinating tale, but that definitely wasn't how it happened."

"Huh!? W-What do you mean!?"

"First of all, I never 'looked into your eyes lovingly' or 'tenderly caressed' your hands. And second, there was no 'epic battle' between myself and Sir Padraig. I didn't even land a single hit on him."

"H-Hmph! You sure have a lot to say for someone who doesn't even remember anything!"

"To be completely honest, I still only remember bits and pieces of it. As you hoped, you've jogged my memory. I definitely remember Captain Padraig taking me under his wing because of you, but... There's still a lot that's spotty."

"Well, I most certainly remember it clear as day!"

Medrauta sighed. "So it would seem, Your Imperial Highness."

"Of course. I am not one to forget others unlike someone in this room," Gwenhwyfar said as she looked at Medrauta meaningfully, to which the knight merely shrugged. "So? What of your promise?"

The air grew tense the moment that word dropped from the princess' lips. Viviane wished to speak up and urge the princess to remember the conditions of their match, but if the princess had been speaking the truth...

...Right. A promise like that would trump the results of any match, huh...? Viviane bit her lip. Gently and almost stealthily, she tried to free her hand from Medrauta's, but the knight was dreadfully sensitive and tightened her grip instantly.

"What promise?" Medrauta asked. "I do not recall making any promises, Your Imperial Highness."

Gwenhwyfar's eyes nearly bulged out of her head. "Bwuh!? I do not appreciate this line of jest, Medrauta! Must I truly spell it out for you?"

"Yes."

"Gah!" Gwenhwyfar seemed almost taken aback by Medrauta's instant reply, raising a hand to her head as if warding off a blow. "Y-Your promise to... b-be my champion, of course!"

Medrauta raised an eyebrow. She wasn't sure why the princess was blushing so fiercely, but it wasn't going to change her reply regardless. "I made no such promise, Your Imperial Highness. You were the one who decided that yourself. I simply stepped onto the carriage because I was enamored by the desire of escaping that damned orphanage."

"B-But... But you..." The princess looked like she was on the verge of tears again, and Viviane couldn't help but feel a little bad for her. After all, despite everything that happened, she wasn't exactly someone who could hold a grudge.

Before Viviane could speak up though, Medrauta lifted her hand up as if to show off the fact that their fingers were intertwined.

"The only promise I remember making is with Lady Viviane," Medrauta said. "Perhaps I might've been more considerate of our history had you not wrested me away from her so rudely, but as it stands, she is my liege now and forever."