Chapter 84 - Impiety

"I've returned, father."

Duke Revelo eyed his son with a firm yet fond gaze, but the look in those eyes changed to one of disdain the moment they fell on the armored woman who stood next to Bastiche.

"I see that useless excuse for a knight is still leeching off your accomplishments, son. You must be wary, for there is much that you sacrifice by continuing to use a broken tool."

The knight beside Duke Revelo crossed her arms, the sound of her metal gauntlets clinking against her breastplate echoing briefly through the dining room. Though it was obvious she was displeased at the duke's insults toward Ritya's efforts, she showed no other signs of protest.

"Is there something you would like to say, Dame Marilyn?" Duke Revelo turned to the knight who stood next to where he sat. Though Marilyn had served the duke for a little over a decade now, their relationship was purely professional. Neither of them truly enjoyed the other's company, but they understood the benefits of their combined skills.

"In fact there is, Your Grace." Marilyn replied, causing the duke to raise an eyebrow in question. Seeing as Duke Revelo didn't deign to interrupt, Marilyn continued. "While I have refrained from informing you due to your son's arrival, the duchy's soldiers have intercepted two foreigners attempting to cross the border."

"...Is that so? Have you questioned them yet?"

Marilyn shook her head. "No, Your Grace. I was busy preparing for Lord Bastiche's arrival and detained them in one of the castle's waiting rooms. With your permission, I would like to take Dame Ritya with me and question them now."

Duke Revelo made a dismissive gesture. "By all means, remove that disappointing excuse for a knight from my sight. Now then, take a seat, Bastiche. We have much to catch up on."

Bastiche's hands clenched into tight fists behind his back. Though he obeyed his father's commands, Marilyn could see the anger in his eyes that was slowly being fomented by the duke's remarks.

Acting quickly, Marilyn made a quick gesture, signaling for the junior knight to follow her out of the dining hall. The two knights swiftly departed from the room, their steel-shod boots echoing loudly against the hardwood floor of the castle hallway.

"...I'm sorry you had to put up with that, Ritya."

"I've gotten used to it over the years, Dame Marilyn," Ritya replied, shaking her head. "Honestly, you should be more concerned about yourself."

"Me? Why would I need to be concerned?"

"I mean, isn't it exhausting? Serving Duke Revelo must be a pain in the ass, especially with how he looks down on you."

Marilyn stiffened, her eyes darting about as she dedicated the entirety of her focus to her auditory and visual senses for a brief moment. "...I would not be so quick to criticize the duke in his own castle, Ritya."

In response, Ritya merely shrugged. "So what if someone hears? The most he could do is command you to discipline me."

"...He could request that Lord Bastiche take another knight."

"You really think so? If Lord Bastiche cared about his father's words, he would've dissolved our oath already."

Marilyn frowned. Though Ritya's words were technically correct, she couldn't help but feel that something was amiss. Was Ritya always like this...? She was hard-working and resolute, but I don't remember her being so... blunt.

Unfortunately for Marilyn, they arrived at the doors of the waiting room before she could question Ritya about her newfound personality traits. Just like the rest of the castle, the doors to the waiting room were made of dark oak and gilded at the edges, giving them an ornate look without being too overbearing.