Chapter 76 - Heart and Sun

"Trying to seduce me already?"

"N-No!"

"I didn't take you for such a lecherous woman, but if you wish to partake in bedtime activities even before marriage, I don't mind so long as it's with you," Medrauta winked.

"T-That's not it, Medrauta! This is serious!" Viviane protested as she tried to give herself some distance from her relentless knight.

Medrauta had made her move not even a second after Viviane grabbed her hands. Even as Viviane proposed that they talk, the silver-haired knight had already begun the process of pulling her beloved lady closer and whispering in her ear, and while Viviane's determination would've normally wavered after being forced on the defensive in such a manner, she felt surprisingly stoic in that moment.

"...Huh. How boring," Medrauta clicked her tongue in displeasure as she leaned back. Still, she hadn't let go of Viviane, allowing her hands to remain in her lady's grasp. "What do you wanna talk about then? If it's about the duel then I—"

Viviane shook her head. "It's not about the duel. It is about you. Particularly back there in Lady Rosaline's room when you held a blade to her neck and even drew blood..."

"...Ah." Medrauta's gaze shifted away guiltily. "...I can't say I'm proud of that moment. I... still need to apologize to her."

"You seem fine now, but you certainly weren't for the past few days. Even while you were helping out with the training sessions, something felt off, but I didn't know how to bring it up at the time. I mean... When we were together, you were the same as always."

"...I see."

"But the moment you held a sword... That was when you changed," Viviane said. "I wish I'd realized that sooner, but it wasn't until you really held your blade to Lady Rosaline's throat that it became clear to me."

"...I'm sorry. I must have scared you," Medrauta replied, her countenance despondent as she unconsciously began distancing herself from Viviane with a step.

Viviane reached out, tugging on Medrauta's hand before the knight could go any further. "I wasn't frightened, Medrauta... I was worried. I know people change, and I'll love you even if you do, but... I didn't want you to change into something you couldn't be proud of."

"...Viviane." Medrauta murmured, squeezing her lady's hand gently. Though Medrauta's eyes had been turned away, they now returned to meet the mixture of concern and warmth in Viviane's.

"So the next time there's something weighing heavy on your heart... Please tell me." Viviane looked up into Medrauta's eyes with an almost pleading gaze. "You've stood in front of me so many times. You've even placed your life on the line to protect me... So at the very least, please allow me to carry the burden of your worries together with you."

Even just a casual glance told Medrauta how much heartache her behavior had caused Viviane, and though the issue had mostly resolved itself now as a natural consequence of the duel, the only person who truly understood the changes Medrauta had gone through was Leticia, a fellow knight.

During that final exchange of steel, Medrauta and Leticia had crossed more than just swords. More than mere bladework designed for the sole purpose of chasing victory, their attacks had bore their hearts to one another. Through that sole exchange, Medrauta had come to know how much Leticia loved Rosaline to the point where even she was surprised at the depth of the black-haired knight's feelings that had been channeled through her sword.

But now it was time for Medrauta to show those feelings to the one that she cared the most about. And that scared her.

While Leticia had been a friend, Medrauta felt no romantic love for her. Even if the black-haired knight had decided to turn away from her after seeing the hidden darkness that plagued her heart, Medrauta would not have minded in the least. It would've been Leticia's right to do so, just as it would've been Medrauta's right to turn away from the shadows cast from the light of Leticia's desires.