Chapter 27: Through the Storm

Lauren flinched and pulled herself closer to Dinah when a gunshot rang throughout the house. She bolted up and rushed over to Camila, laying down and wrapping herself around the small girl sobbing. Dinah and Demi watched helplessly as Lauren sent herself into hysterics once more. This was enough to wake Camila up.

"Girls, stay put!" Security called out. Camila sat up groggily, looking around and down at Lauren.

"What's going on? Hey, Lauren..." Camila gently smoothed the raven-haired girl's hair. Cries only continued to shake her petite frame when a second gunshot rang throughout the house. This time, Camila was awake to hear it and the poor girl began to have flashbacks. She curled into a little ball and clutched her hands over her ears, screaming.

"I'll get Mila, you get Laur," Dinah said. Demi nodded and they got to work trying to calm the girls down. Dinah pulled Camila into her arms and rocked her, smoothing her hair.

"Shhh... it's Dj, sweetheart. You're safe. You're okay. Nothing bad is gonna happen to you, sweet girl," Dinah cooed. Only 30 minutes passed before Camila had fallen asleep in Dinah's arms exhausted from her flashbacks. Lauren on the other hand, was spiraling and Demi was having a difficult time getting her to calm down.

"Lauren, honey. Mila is alright. Open your eyes. Come on, hun," Demi spoke softly as she ran her fingers through Lauren's hair.

"C Camz!" Lauren wailed. "Shhh, she's sleeping, darling," Demi tried to tell Lauren, but the Cuban only shook her head, continuing to hyperventilate.

"Okay, come on, sweetie," Demi whispered to the sobbing girl as she stood up and took her into her arms. Demi carried Lauren out onto the balcony and closed the door so Camila wouldn't wake up. Lauren cried for Camz as Demi carried her out the door. Demi sat down in the swing with Lauren and rocked her slowly.

"Shhh, you can see Mila once you calm down some. She's alllllright, sweetheart. We just need to work on calming down right now," Demi told Lauren sweetly. Lauren shook her head and tried to run back inside. Demi steadied her and sat her down back on the swing.

"Lauren, hey... look at me, hun," Demi cooed as she gently caressed Lauren's cheek, wiping away some of the small girl's tears. Lauren shook her head again.

"Camz! Camz! Camz!" Lauren screamed through her tears. Demi sweetly shushed Lauren, but she was getting worried about her mental state. The poor girl had to have been having some sort of break. Camila, who woke up when Lauren was screaming for her, came outside followed by Dinah. They were both startled by Lauren's state.

"Mommy? Was wrong?" Camzi questioned anxiously. Lauren bolted up and ran to Camzi, embracing her, still having a severe panic attack as she held her. Demi saw the look on Camzi's face and that she was about to cry.

"Lauren, sweetheart... you're scaring her," Dinah cooed to Lauren as she got down on her level. Camzi quickly started to cry.

"Okay, okay. Lauren... hey. You need to breathe, darling. Come with me," Demi calmly spoke. Her and Dinah gently pried Lauren off of Camzi and when they did, she collapsed to the floor in hysterics.

"Come on, Camzi, let's let mommy calm down. She's scared," Dinah whispered to the small girl, who sniffled, wiped her eyes, and nodded. Demi directed her attention to Lauren, who was in even worse a state than earlier. Demi got down on the ground with her and wrapped her up in her embrace.

"Lauren, hun... Camzi is safe and sound inside with Dinah. No one will hurt her. Now, you were scaring her, love. You need to let me help you calm down," Demi explained.

"S s so sorry!" Lauren sobbed, her body trembling.

"It's okay, no one is upset. We just want you to calm down some so you can be with Camzi. Deal?" Demi proposed. Lauren nodded and hiccuped through her cries.

"Okay, okay, good job. Shhh. Breathe. Breathe with me... in, out. In, out," Demi instructed. She was relieved when Lauren actually started to copy her breathing after a couple of minutes of her trying to get her to do so.

"That's my girl, keep breathing," Demi cooed as she stroked Lauren's hair.

Dinah, who had been watching from the door made a suggestion, "See if smoking will help her calm down the rest of the way and reset." Demi nodded. She was desperate to calm Lauren down and get her to Camzi.

"Lauren, doll," Demi tapped Lauren, who looked up at her and sniffled.

"Will smoking help you calm down the rest of the way?" Demi asked. Lauren thought about it for a brief moment before nodding. Demi went and grabbed her weed bag from the room and brought it outside.

"Here, hun," she spoke as she handed the familiar bag to Lauren. Lauren struggled as she tried to roll up due to her shaking hands. Demi could tell she was getting upset again. She steadied the smaller girl's hands.

"Hey, let me," she offered. Lauren handed her the rolling tray, gar, and weed and let Demi roll it for her. Once Demi was done, she handed the blunt to Lauren to spark. Lauren shakily sparked the blunt and began to smoke. Over the next 20 minutes of Lauren smoking, she had finally calmed down.

"Are you ready to go see Camzi?"

Lauren nodded and sighed, "Yeah. I'm ready."

"Come on," Demi stood up and outstretched her hand towards Lauren, who accepted it and allowed Demi to lead her inside.

"Mommy! Chu okay!" Camzi said thrilled as she ran up to Lauren and hugged her.

"Yeah, I'm okay," Lauren replied, hugging her baby girl back. Security walked into the room.

"You girls can move around the house now. Crime scene is cleaned up and... Camila, that lady can never hurt you again on account that she's six feet under now," he said sincerely. Camila looked up at Lauren and smiled. Lauren returned the smile and hugged her even tighter. Everyone was ecstatic that everyone was unharmed by that awful woman.