Chapter 25: Xanny

Mani was the one to speak up, "She escaped custody..."

"What?! How did they let that happen?!" I spoke, frustrated, doing my best to keep the volume of my voice down.

"It was during transport from what we know, but I agree... how could they have let that happen? We've talked to the lawyer on our case and she recommended us having security over here until further notice for Mila's sake," Mani explained to me as I sat there with my head in my hands, struggling to wrap my mind around how in the fuck they could have lost track of her like that.

I sighed and threw my hands up in a fit of frustration, "I need to go smoke." I excused myself from the table and went outside, a freshly rolled blunt now in my hand.

Demi soon followed me outside, sitting next to me as I flicked my lighter, inhaling the smoke, "Laur, it's gonna be alright. They're already sending security over here first thing tomorrow morning."

I ran a hand through my hair and shook my head, "We don't know that, Dems... We don't know that."

She sighed, "I know, but we can hope that and she has no way of tracking Camila. You guys have a private address and the only people who know about it are friends and family."

"But we don't know if she's been tracking us or Camz and if she has for how long. I'm fucking scared for her, Dems. I swear if I ever see that woman, I'm gonna mess her up so bad there won't be anything left of her. If she comes into this house somehow, she's the one who needs to be scared," I spilled, talking myself in circles as I took another few hits.

I could feel myself getting really worked up and I knew I needed to calm down, but at this point, it felt near impossible. I held my head in my hands and continued to smoke my blunt in some sort of an effort to maintain control over my breathing. "Fuck!" I spat, dropping the roach of the blunt that I had accidentally let get so small that it burnt my fingers. I picked it up and threw it into the ashtray and gripped my hair, resisting the urge to just scream.

I felt a hand gently placed on my knee before Demi wrapped her arm around me, gently pulling me closer so that my head was resting on her shoulder. I felt tears burn my eyes and in that moment I lost all control that I had managed to maintain. I found myself crying uncontrollably, unable to regain control of my own breathing.

"Lauren, hey..." I heard Demi's voice, but I was unable to focus on it. It just sounded like an echo in my head.

Demi POV

All of the stress of this grueling situation had just crashed down on Lauren, who was so used to being in control of things and of herself, sadly resulting in her having a panic attack.

"Lauren, hey..." I spoke calmly, rubbing her arm gently. She didn't respond, only shaking her head, her hands still entangled in her hair. "Okay, I'm gonna help you calm down, Laur. I'm gonna sit you up so that you can breathe better," I explained, helping Lauren sit up, moving so that I was in front of her. I took her trembling hands in my own, "Open your eyes, hun. It'll help. It's gonna be alright. We're going to get everything taken care of."

Doing my best to reassure Lauren, I was relieved when she opened her eyes, looking at me. "Good, breathe with me, okay? Remember how?" She nodded, copying me as I coaxed her to slow down her breathing. Only 15 minutes later, Lauren was much calmer, just dealing with the lingering effects of her panic attack. I sat back down next to her, pulling her in for a hug. "Would you like to sit out here for a bit longer and calm down some more?"

She nodded before changing her response, quickly shaking her head and jumping up, "Camz is alone!"

I gently sat her back down, "I'll text Dinah to go stay in the room with her, okay? Here, I'll do it right now." I quickly texted Dinah, who responded immediately that she was already upstairs with Camila, who was still sleeping peacefully.