Chapter 28: Shattered

The girls were surprised when, over the next couple of weeks, Lauren's anxiety hadn't seemed to alleviate any. It had been taking a toll on Camzi as well because she was worried about her mommy. A new day had just begun and overcast skies clouded the sun as a pale light shone in through the windows. 

Lauren stirred in bed next to Dinah and Camila before sitting up groggily in her inebriated state. Anxiety immediately flooded the small girl. She wanted to feel in control again. That's all she wanted. Getting up and finding herself wandering into her bathroom, she reached for a familiar box underneath her sink. Taking hold of one of the blades in the box, she took a deep breath before she rolled up her sleeves and started to hurt herself. A half an hour or so must have passed before she finished and snapped back into reality. Lauren dried her eyes and cleaned up the mess from the floor before hiding her box back under the sink. As she did, she eyed the baggie of Xanax, quickly giving in and taking out two of the bars and popping them. Lauren stumbled out of the bathroom before laying back down in bed, falling asleep once more.

Demi, who had come into the room to get everyone up for breakfast was startled by the deep red bloodstains on Lauren's sleeves. She went and sat down on the edge of the bed next to where Lauren was sleeping.

Demi shook the small girl, "Laur, hun... wake up, please." The commotion woke Dinah from her sleep. The blonde sat up and looked around, trying to determine what was happening.

"Dinah..." Demi said sadly, eyeing Lauren's arms. Dinah sighed sadly before scooping the sleeping girl up in her arms and carrying her to the bathroom.

"Was she hard to wake up?" Dinah asked Demi as she slid Lauren's shirt over her head.

"Jesus Christ, kid..." Demi gasped when she saw Lauren's body without her shirt on. Her arms were splattered in deep gashes and she had smaller cuts on her waist and hips. Something else saddened Demi though, Lauren looked like she had lost a good 20 pounds that she didn't have to lose in the first place. She was so small, too small... Demi thought.

"Demi?" Dinah questioned.

"Y Yeah?" Demi choked back her tears and wiped her eyes.

"Was she hard to wake up?" Dinah questioned once more.

Demi nodded, "You don't think she took-"

Dinah nodded, "I do." Demi sighed and ran a hand through her hair.

"I don't wanna admit her, Dems..." Dinah stated, her voice breaking as tears sprung to her eyes.

"We can try to help her here. I can call Selena, you know she went to school for this kind of thing," Demi suggested.

Dinah sighed and nodded, "Yeah, call her, Dems. Can you hand me the first aid kit first, though?" Dinah asked. Demi nodded and handed her the first aid kit from under the sink. Dinah began to clean and dress Lauren's arms, waist, and hips while Demi went to go and call Selena.

S: Hello?

D: Hey, girl. I kinda need your help with a situation.

S: What's going on?

D: It's Lauren... she's spiraling. She's abusing Xanax, self-harming, not eating, and God knows what else, Selena. I'm worried sick about her and we just know admitting her will break her, so can you please come stay with us for a while and help her through this?

S: Oh my God, of course, Dems. Does she know I'm coming?

D: No, she's knocked out. Dinah and I think she took Xanax again.

S: I'm gonna pack and then I'll be on my way. Give me an hour.

D: Thank you so much, love.

S: Anytime. See you soon.