23: Lost On You

Karl Jacobs

--

Lola sits on my bed, her knees tucked to her chest so her chin can rest on them. We're both watching the TV, the saddest part of The Amazing Spiderman 2 playing. I hear sniffles coming from Lola so I just gently pat her shoulder. I've seen this movie so many times i've become immune to this scene, but I know this is Lola's first time ever watching it. I look at her to see her soft sniffles have now become full sobs as Peter holds Gwen. I hold back laughter as I didn't expect her to care this much about the movie, she didn't even want to watch it when I first put it on.

"Who wrote this?" She looks at me while crying, her eyes are puffy and her button nose has gone red. "Why?"

"It just had to happen" I shrug, still patting her shoulder. "Keep watching".

I get up to go downstairs. We're the only people home, I have no idea where my parents are and I honestly don't really care. I invited Lola over because I wanted to spend time with a friend and I know Sapnap isn't an option right now. I grab myself and Lola two bottles of water before making my way back upstairs. I open my door to see Lola isn't on the bed and the end credits are playing on TV.

"Lola?" I shout softly.

"In the bathroom" I hear her muffled voice coming from my bathroom. 

I drop the bottles on the bed and fall into my pillows. I stare at the ceiling, waiting for her to come back into the room. My window creeks so I roll over to see what's happening outside on the street, but as I open the curtain i'm met with a foot coming towards me. I quickly dip while letting out a small squeal. 

"Oh shit!" He says as he falls onto the bed next to me. "Did I kick you?"

"No, I dipped" I sit up and look at Sapnap who is now bright red and out of breath. "What are you doing here?"

"I need to talk to you, Karl" his voice is serious. I swallow and turn towards my bathroom door that is still shut. "What?"

"Lola is here" I say quietly and his face is quick to fall. "What do you need?"

"No, no, shit i'm sorry" he looks around, avoiding eye contact with me. The redness in his face has turned into a soft pink blush, like he's suddenly embarrassed. "I should've called".

"We need to be talking for that to happen" I say before I give myself the chance to think. He sighs and I shut my eyes, regretting what i've said. "I'm sorry".

"That's why i'm here, but it's okay" he pauses. "Let me know when you're ready to talk".

I'm quick to grab his sleeve as he begins to crawl back out. He turns to me, looking me in the eyes. I forget what I was going to say, i'm distracted by his eyes and the way his breath hitched. I open my mouth to say something the same time he does, we both just smile at each other.

"You can stay" I say softly. 

"I-I'm not sure Lola would want that" he looks down at my hand that's resting on his arm. His cheeks go red and he just nods before making his way back out the window. I let him go this time, stopping him again would only make him angry. I watch him get into his car and drive away until he's out of the street.

The bathroom door opens and Lola walks into my room to find me laying on my bed, staring lifelessly at the ceiling. He drove here just to talk to me about it all, that must mean something. I was mean to him when I didn't even want to be. Lola sits on the bed next to me, I see her lips moving as she speaks but I don't hear her.

"What?" I ask.

"I heard him here" she smiles. "I think our plan is working perfectly, Karl".

"It sucks" I huff as I prep myself up onto my elbows. "I'm hurting him when I don't want to".

"Hurting people is sometimes the only way you find out the truth" she shrugs. "Anger and sadness always brings out the truth".

"And you're just okay with that?" I frown.

"Why wouldn't I be?" she looks at me. "I don't like being lied  to, and I don't appreciate secrets. I love honesty".

"But we're lying to everyone?" 

"No, we're acting. We're putting on a show for them" she smirks. "And it's all working perfectly. Nick just climbed through your window and Aaron can't stop messaging me even though has as girlfriend".

"It still feels wrong".

Lola just shrugs and begins to go through movies we can watch. I fall back and continue staring at the ceiling. His eyes are etched into my brain, his face is all I see when I close my eyes. I hear the beginning of a movie playing  before I feel Lola lay down next to me, her hand running through my hair. I look at her and she's just focused on my hair. 

"Do you want to break up?" She asks with a smirk on her face. "Again?" 

"No" I sigh. "I think you're right, it is working I guess".

"I know" she says with a satisfied tone. "Fake being with you actually helps me a lot. I only get the attention from Aaron, every other guy has disappeared after hearing we're together".

"It feels like you're the only one getting something from this" I say honestly.

"Maybe right now it's like that, but you're side of it all deals with much more emotion than mine. You love you're best friend and he's in love with Harmony, it's going to take a lot longer to win" she smiles softly. "What if Nick and Harmony are fake dating too? Like our plan was originally their plan?"

"I doubt it" I laugh. "It would be pretty funny though, we just win the fake dating competition".

We both go quiet as the movie starts playing on the screen. Lola is still playing with my hair and i'm slowly beginning to fall asleep. Sapnap is still the only thing on my mind. I don't think there will ever come a day when he isn't on my mind.

--

HELLO HELLO HELLO 

how is everyone doing?? i told you all id be back soon :)) 

ill be back even sooner with the next part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ily all and hope you have the best day/night !!!!!