31: Hits Different

Karl Jacobs

--

I stand next to Lola as we watch the Bride and Grooms first dance. Lolas hand is tightly holding mine, I look down at her to see the grin on her face. On the way here she made it clear that weddings are her favourite events to go to. I haven't seen her without a smile at all today, she looks at everything full of love, it's evident on her face. Lola is the kind of person that just loves love. Standing here next to her now, I realise that it might be my favourite thing about her. Her hope for a true love is beautiful, and I know in her brain that true love is Aaron just like Sapnap is mine in my brain.

We clap as the newly wedded couple finish dancing. A second slow song begins playing, this time the bride and groom invite others to the floor to have their second dance with them. I watched as the floor slowly flooded with couples, anyone from the elderly to a few kids that probably just met tonight. I look down at Lola to see her anxiously biting her lip.

"Do you wan-"

"We don't hav-"

We speak at the same time making us both laugh. Without any words Lola just nods and we both make our way to the dancefloor. I follow her lead as I have never slow danced before. She's surprisingly good at it and I do my best to follow along. I watch her as she looks around the room, watching all the different couples dance. At some point I notice her dad, he smiles at me and takes his daughter from me. They dance together as her mum joins me.

"I'm so happy to finally meet you, Karl" her mum smiles at me and I politely return one. "Lola never brings dates to any family function".

"Really?" I question.

"You're the first one" she nods. "Aaron came to one of my birthday dinners once but that was also the same night they broke up, so I don't include him in the list of good men my daughter dates".

I look over at Lola, she's laughing at something with her dad. I find myself frowning at the thought of her not showing off Aaron to her family whenever she has the chance. Why would she bring her fake boyfriend to a wedding of all things? We're not even together.

"I'm happy she's finally happy" her mum pulls me back to reality. "You're a good boy".

"Thank you" I say softly. "I'm glad she's finally happy, too".

The song slowly fades into a pop song. Her mum leaves me and I make my way to get a drink while Lola dances with her cousins. I stand by the bar sipping on my drink as I listen to the random conversations that are happening around me. I feel my phone buzz in my pocket, I look at it to see an Instagram notification saying Sapnap has posted for the first time in a while. I hesitate before opening it. Staring back at me on my phone screen is Sapnap and Harmony. Many photos of them. 

Sapnap has never been one to post much on Instagram, he's never posted anything about his personal life. Before this post all he had up was an old photo of his cat. I have a feeling Harmony posted this or forced him into posting it. I know Sapnap would never post something like this on his own. I continue swiping through the photos, looking at the pictures of them being a happy couple. I feel like I could throw up just at the sight of them. 

"Karl?" i'm pulled away from my thoughts to see Lola standing in front of me, her eyebrows furrowed. "Are you okay?"

"Yea, sorry" I put m phone back into my pocket and finish my drink. 

"You just looked a bit pale" she sounds concerned but I just smile at her.

"Trust me, i'm  fine" I lie. The photos of Sapnap and Harmony are burned into my brain. Every time I blink I can see them still, like they've printed themselves into my eyelids without my permission.

"Okay" she doesn't sound convinced. "Cake is being passed around, we should  go back to the table".

Lola grabs my hand and I let her drag me through the room. We sit down at our table and patiently wait for cake to come to our table. Lola talks with her cousins, her hand not once leaving mine. It's almost like she's putting us on display, like she wants her family to know that we are 'together'. I look down at our hands that are sitting on the table on show for everyone, she's holding onto mine so tight while mine has almost gone limp. 

Something washes over me within seconds. I pull my hand from her grip grabbing her attention, she goes quiet as she stares at me. I stand up from my seat just as the cake is being placed in front of me. I almost hit the waiter as I stand but I missed him. I rush out of the reception room, my hand holding onto my own chest. The hand she was once holding is on fire, but not in the same way it is when Sapnap is the one holding it. It's on fire in a painful, lingering way. Like my body was rejecting her because I don't know how to do it myself. 

"Karl" her burning hand grabs mine again, but I pull away instantly. I stop in my tracks before turning to her. I look down at her as I wait for her to say something. "Karl" she repeats. 

"Lola, Karl" her dad followed us out and I didn't even notice. "Everything okay?"

"Yes we're okay, Papa" Lola fakes a smile. She says something to him in Spanish and he just nods before leaving us be again.

"I'm sorry" I croak. "I just-"

"No, Karl it's okay" she swallows. "I knew a wedding would be too much, I expected this".

I stay quiet.

"I always think we can exist outside of the people we love, but you've proved to me countless times that we can't" she looks up at me as her eyes become glassy. "I'm not mad at you, i'm mad at myself".

"Lola, we're friends" she looks away from me. "Right?"

"Yea, that's what we've always agreed on" she wipes away the few tears that escaped. "I'll get you an Uber, maybe it was a bit too soon for you to attend a wedding after what Nick done to you".

I don't say anything to her. I let her control the situation because I know if I didn't let her do it, then i'd probably end up on Sapnaps doorstep crying for him.

--------

hey besties

how is everyone?????????????????????????????

im curious.... do yall like lola?? 

anyway

HAS ANYONE LISTENED TO GUTS BY OLIVIA RODRIGO?????? if yes pls tell me every thought you have and all of your favs!!!! mine are making the bed, get him back!, and the grudge !!
and if you have listened then you will understand me when i say karls feelings about harmony is SOOOOOO lacy coded sadfihwuogthb 

ily all very much!! ill be back soon with more <3