41: Pretty When You Cry

Karl Jacobs

--

It's the day before Halloween and i'm sitting on the floor of my living room cutting out decorations. I made it clear to the group that I wasn't interested in going to any party, all of them but Noah agreed with me. I'm not sure how but we all ended up convincing him to just hang out with us instead of going to the haunted house themed party in the woods near his home. I decided to host the hang out at my house, the plan is to watch a few scary movies, have some pizzas, and give out candy to any trick or treaters that come by. My Beetlejuice costume is hanging up on the back of my door in my room. We planned to not tell each other what we're dressing up as, but I know that Henry is going to be my Lydia Deetz. 

There's a loud knock on the door, making me drop all of the decorations i've made so far. I walk over as i'm dusting off some random bits of paper stuck to my clothes. I open the door and freeze. Staring down at me is my dad, but something seems off. He's different.

"Karl" his voice sends chills down my spine. He could play the villain in a horror movie, he wouldn't even need to act. "Is your mum home?"

"She's out" I don't elaborate. The last thing I want is for him to know that she's actually out on a date with Mr. Mavric.

"Well, could I maybe come in?" I frown. "We could chat for a bit".

"Chat?" I question. "You don't chat".

I look past him to look for his truck. I instead see a mini van with tinted windows, but the front window is rolled down and I see a young brunette in the passenger seat. This woman looks just like my mum once did, before she gave birth to me. I put the puzzle pieces together in my head, he's become a better man for a woman. Just like he once done when he met my mother, when he became a father.

"I- um" I stutter as I look up at him. "Is it important?"

"Yes" he nods. 

I step to the side and allow him to walk inside. My hands become clammy as I slowly shut the door, hoping I don't regret this. I find him already sitting in the living room, looking at all the decorations i've made so far. I sit down on the couch furthest from him.

"So" he sighs. "I don't know where to begin, Karl".

I don't say anything. 

"I'm leaving town, son".

Son. 

Hearing him call me that leaves a sour taste in my mouth. It feels like he just screeched into my ear and expected me to be okay with it. 

"Riley and I" he pauses. "Riley is my girlfriend. She, uh, she wanted to come in and meet you but I told her to stay in the car".

"Good" I speak before I think.

"Right" he hesitates. "I just wanted to come back and say sorry. I'm so sorry for everything, Karl".

I give him a blank stare. What did he expect me to say? Did he expect me to hug him? I don't know what to do.

"I treated you and your mum terribly, I-I didn't mean to" he pauses again. "I'm moving to Chicago, if you want to I can leave my new address for you. I understand if you don't want it, I just don't want to disappear".

"I can speak for both mum and I when I say we're okay with you disappearing" I shock myself. I don't know where this new confidence in myself has come from. I've never once stood up for myself to my dad. "Thank you for letting us know".

"O-Okay" he stutters. I've never heard him stutter. I've never witnessed him so vulnerable. It really is like he is a new man, but I know him too well. It's all just a cover up. "I guess i'll go" he rises to his feet and i'm quick to follow.